Green and Gold - Compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just scored six quarts of green GC. However, assuming that this will be all I can find, I will have one oil change (4.5 quarts) of pure green and one with a mix of green and gold. Is this cool? Or should I just return the green and stick with the gold. Thanks.

I don't think mixing will a problem. However I would recommend against it if you plan on doing a UOA, only because you won't know exactly what properties are from what oil.

I thought the spectrograph test results on the Gold were almost identical to the Green. Why would a mix skew an UOA ?
dunno.gif

GC Green and Gold share the same label... How can they be differnent other than additive package?

I currently have three vehicles with various GC brews in them.

1). 90' Chevy Silverado 5.7 with all GC Gold.

2). 2001 Chevy Silverado 5.3 with (4) Green and (2) Gold.

3). 2002 GMC Sierra 5.3 with all Green.

I'll eventually have the UOA's to post sometime in 2006. The 01' and 02' UOA will be interesting.

FWIW- I had a conversation with Mobil's "Product Information" tech support on mixing oils of all kinds- Syn's, Dino's...etc. The gentleman that I spoke with said that all detergent oils manufactured today are all inter-mixable, with the exception being non-detergent oil which are not compatible. Once an oil company places "Motor OIL" on it's label, it's implied that it's compatible with other oils and safe. Also, he said that no oil company recommends the mixing of oil even within it's own product lines (viscosity and group type) but will claim that it's safe and to always follow the vehicle manufacturers oil recommendation group type and viscosity.

So... mixing oil is safe but nobody recommends it. GC Green and Gold share the same label- they are not considered mixing oil types.

Bowser

I certainly would not predict doom for someone mixing and in fact I don't think it would "hurt in the least," but I will try to avoid doing so just because I would rather keep the formulations separate (except, of course, for the unavoidable residual in the system after an OC). Now when I run out of The Green--in about 2045
wink.gif
--I will not hesitate to mix if I don't have a full fill of the Green; but I plan to mix only under those circumstances.

Pscholte said: "Now when I run out of The Green--in about 2045 --I will not hesitate to mix if I don't have a full fill of the Green; but I plan to mix only under those circumstances." Yes, I'm afraid that's what will happen to me. I've visited almost all the Autozones around here and all they have is gold. In addition, my stash has gotten too large (is there such a thing?), so I'm trying not to indulge my bizarre addiction.

quote:

z917990 said, ...so I'm trying not to indulge my bizarre addiction

How can I get you guys to see it is not a "bizarre addiction"...it is fulfilling all you are as an automobile driving human being...yup...it's all true...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back