Great videos on waterless wash techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found two great videos by Wes Walz, a very well-respected detailer, on how-to waterless wash cars.

To date, I have done some rinseless washes, but not waterless washes due to fear of leaving marring or light swirls. But after watching the techniques that were presented in his videos, I feel a bit more comfortable with the idea of doing waterless washes on lightly soiled vehicles.

Although he was showcasing his own product, I am sure that the techniques he outlined will also work great with other waterless products...such as Meguiars D115 or Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+.

From what I can tell, using very high quality towels and good judgement are keys to successfully executing a waterless wash. Personally, I am a bit too frugal to use $10 Microfiber Madness towels for a waterless wash and would probably use some less expensive towels (i.e. CarPro BOA), but I think using very high-quality plush towels is key to a successful wash.

How to clean paint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeB4E0mBjMs

How to clean the other parts of the vehicle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnRzGhbkvM

Let's discuss - I'd like to hear your tips on waterless washing!

My tip is don't do it. Wash conventional and save money while ensuring a better cleaning. Good ole wet wash works the best.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
My tip is don't do it. Wash conventional and save money while ensuring a better cleaning. Good ole wet wash works the best.

+1 The only time I'd even consider waterless is cleaning up a car from the light dust accumulated in dry, indoor storage.

Realistically, at this time, I think only enthusiasts like us will be the only ones even considering rinseless washes. I have done it before years ago and stopped since the time/effort between waterfull and rinseless tends to be the same.

Rinseless is still a consideration if someone is facing water restrictions, but at that point I'm pretty sure the majority of people unfortunate enough to live with senseless laws could care less about a clean car.

Regardless the only time I would outright recommend a rinseless wash is for garaged vehicles that are waxed and aren't ridiculously dirty.

I've used waterless wash for the past ten years. If you have common sense, decent towels, and a vehicle that is not muddy, covered with salt, extreme grime,sand, etc., you are good to go.
It boils down to technique, common sense, and evaluating the job at hand. If you can do that you are good to go. I've proven it for a decade.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
It's the future. Just wait until the EPA bans wet washes.

The other threat is car wash places. During droughts they lobby to end home washing and they get to stay in business because they claim they recycle.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I've used waterless wash for the past ten years. If you have common sense, decent towels, and a vehicle that is not muddy, covered with salt, extreme grime,sand, etc., you are good to go.
It boils down to technique, common sense, and evaluating the job at hand. If you can do that you are good to go. I've proven it for a decade.

Ain't buying it
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83

Ain't buying it
31.gif

You do realize that by itself, a soap solution does not have the same level of lubricity as most rinseless washes...

Quote:
Ain't buying it no-no

Just because you "Ain't buying it" does not excuse you from ignorance to more modern methods since the Conestoga wagons were about.

Things have changed if you care to admit it or not.

Hopefully you will learn as I did during my professional detailing career, which has now ended. There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Quote:
Ain't buying it no-no

Just because you "Ain't buying it" does not excuse you from ignorance to more modern methods since the Conestoga wagons were about.

Things have changed if you care to admit it or not.

Hopefully you will learn as I did during my professional detailing career, which has now ended. There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Talk about ignorant and thin skinned
crackmeup2.gif

This will work for a lightly dirty car but will never replace a proper hand wash with a wash mit, soap and water.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I'm sorry, but this is comical. The guy is trying to show how great his cleaning products are by attempting to wash a car that I would call perfectly clean to begin with.

I can see how these waterless products might work in Cali where all you get is just some light dusting on your car. Here in Michigan, I get a nice thick crusty layer of salt and crud on my paint after just a day or two of driving, so that's not gonna work.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm sorry, but this is comical. The guy is trying to show how great his cleaning products are by attempting to wash a car that I would call perfectly clean to begin with.

I can see how these waterless products might work in Cali where all you get is just some light dusting on your car. Here in Michigan, I get a nice thick crusty layer of salt and crud on my paint after just a day or two of driving, so that's not gonna work.

It is very comical. I was a pro detailer in Colorado for 15 years and this simply would not work 10 months out of the year on any car that is a daily driver. It will work just fine on an already clean car like in the video. More of a touch up/quick detailer spray product then a car wash product.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

It is very comical. I was a pro detailer in Colorado for 15 years and this simply would not work 10 months out of the year on any car that is a daily driver. It will work just fine on an already clean car like in the video. More of a touch up/quick detailer spray product then a car wash product.

The product can work just fine depending on the car soils, paint condition, weather conditions, etc. It is just another tool - but not one that is appropriate for every situation.

Meguiars did a pretty good job demo'ing their product here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICbdJocUI4

This will work for a lightly dirty car but will never replace a proper hand wash with a wash mit, soap and water.

As long as the vehicle is cleaned without leaving marring or swirls, there isn't advantage to the method used. Care to explain why a traditional wash is superior to a rinseless or waterless wash if the end result is the same?

Yep - it is certainly not appropriate for every situation, but it is just another tool to consider. For you, a pre-soak with a rinse less solution (using a pressurized pump sprayer) followed by a normal rinseless wash is likely to be the more appropriate option.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
With the bugs here in north carolina, that ain't neva gonna work.

Maybe on a show car that rarely sees street time.

Pre-treating with APC or a bug remover before rinse less or waterless washing is always an option.

Agree 100%

The product can work just fine depending on the car soils, paint condition, weather conditions, etc. It is just another tool - but not one that is appropriate for every situation.

Meguiars did a pretty good job demo'ing their product here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICbdJocUI4

As long as the vehicle is cleaned without leaving marring or swirls, there isn't advantage to the method used. Care to explain why a traditional wash is superior to a rinseless or waterless wash if the end result is the same?

Because you can not properly clean the entire vehicle with this method. Just the paint is ok but what about the wheel wells and entire underside of the vehicle? It is just as important to clean and flush the entire underside of the car. Just simply "dusting off the paint" is not considered a proper wash or detail job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back