Grease Lawn Mower Deck Spindles ( Have Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has a new Cub Cadet Tractor and since the mower is at 25 hours I greased the appropriate items according to the owner's manual. The manual says for the Deck spindle apply 2 strokes minimum or sufficient grease to the spindle shaft, since he has 3 blades there are 3 shafts, I put 8 strokes in each one, could not see any grease oozing out or here any pop sound when the thing is full. Should I add more grease, maybe they hardly greased it at the factory, on my walk behind mower you can see the grease barely ooze out when it is full. When I added grease to the front axles each 1 took 6 strokes of grease, any help would be appreciated.

No need to worry, I called Cub Cadet's 1-800 number and they told me 2 to 5 squirts is fine and that I did not add too much because nothing oozed out, it seems this thing has a sealed bearing and the grease is used to keep any moisture out, if there is not enough grease in there the bearing could go bad, I am glad I greased this thing because the tech guy told me to replace the bearings on the blade spindles is $85.00 a piece, with 3 on there it would be $255.00, he told me a lot of people forget to grease them and if they do not they usually go bad after 100 hours, he said they sell a lot of bearing kits for these tractors, Grease Is Cheaper Than Steel.

As long as you know grease is going in there, you are good to go. Over greasing just makes a mess and gets all over the deck drive belt, etc. Use caution on those Cub Cadet grease zerks. They are just press-in as opposed to thread in. They pull out very easily.

Joel

Thanks Joel, I made sure to kind of clean the fittings before putting in the grease, since I put so much in maybe at 50 hours I should not grease it then and maybe wait to 75 hours to grease it again, amy thoughts on this.

I'm not familiar with your spindle setup so it might not be suseptable to overservicing. This might not be applicable but I'll share a little info.
In general two things happen when a bearing is overgreased. One is that it pushes out the seal. that is a common failure in an overserviced electric motor or pillow blocks. The other issue that arises is the bearing has to churn all of that new, overfilled grease, it gets hot (30-70* temp rise is not unusual), liquefies the grease, and slings it out. In industrial applications there is a science to proper bearing lube that can involve expensive measuring equipment to put in just the right amount.

My Dad used the Cub Cadet for 2 hours yesterday and no signs of any grease slinging out, the guy from Cub Cadet said if I had put too much grease in there I would have seen it oozing out, which I did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back