Grease for front suspension top strut mount bearin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello can anyone tell me what grease BMW Mini use for their front
Suspension top strut mount bearings as I would like to add more. When
you remove the cap you can see the bearing and there isn't much
grease in there, so I would like to add more. The car is under warrenty
so I would like to put in what the manufacturer puts in.
I assume it will be wheel bearing grease. I don't really want to mix the
Greases so I would like to get the same brand and type.
Thanks for any help.
Peter

Last edited:
Wheel bearing grease is typically for high speed bearings. Your strut mount bearing is more like a ball joint or tie rod end. Chassis grease.

I would leave it alone unless its listed somewhere to take the cap off and add grease. For grease to be effective it needs to get into the inner guts of a bearing, not just sit on top. Thats why there are zerk fittings. And when you do wheel bearings (old style) you do not smear grease around the bearing, but rather put a wad of grease in your palm and push the bearing into the wad of grease (several times), pushing grease through the roller bearings (typically a Dad teaches his son that, mine did, but I have only daughters).

Donald, Teach your daughters this operation. Think how cool it will be when you buy that musclecar you always wanted and they can help you.
My oldest daughter can descibe to a point whats wrong with a car.
My other daughter is pretty darn good at descibing things, and she understands what she is talking about. How many people you know can descibe that the carb felt like it was running like it only had 1/2 of it? It was a quadrajet and had one primary jet completely plugged, hence 1/2 carb!!!

Strut bearings have different requirements from wheel bearings. Wheel bearings churn the grease while strut bearings are more micromotion. In micromotion applications you want to use the thinnest grease you can get away with. The idea is to get the lube to reflow under the bearing balls once the grease is pushed aside.

Kluberplex BEM 134-32 product data sheet shows it is suitable for this application. Since it is calcium based, I don't know if it's suitable for mixing with the existing grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back