Grease for bicycles?

White lithium automotive grease was my goto. Last 10 years or so synthetic automotive grease so I don't have to open up bottom brackets, headsets and hubs so often.

Last edited:
Unless you are very not tall and it is not too late return the 26 inch wheel bike!
The 29 inch wheel is the way to go for most and is the latest technology since about 2000 or so now.
I have repaired the department store bikes and they always... if they have grease at all, is crap.
If you buy a quality bike now you may be more likely to really enjoy it and become a cyclist.
Or you may do like I did and buy a department store bike, that I thought was great and them very soon found out it was garbage/not worth repairing and through it out.
Also if you get educated about the proper sizing and fitting of a bike and the cockpit you will enjoy it much more and not possibly ruin your knees. improper fitting will cause pain of multiple types and areas like: back, neck, wrist pain, etc.
I find it is worth it to either go to a bike fitter or get educated about bike fitting to be more efficient, safer and more FUN.
The inexpensive marine grease should work well. You want something to fight against the weather.
If the bike is kept the in the house then again marine grease or any quality grease. White lithium is almost always crap. You could use gear lube also. After applying wrap the chain with a rag or shop towel and wipe off the excess IF kept in the house, and lubed every ride or so depending on distance and weather.
The heavier grease generally will stay where it is put and fight against the weather, but take slightly more energy to propel the bike.
Lube is like many things there are great to crap lubes and greases. It depends on the needs, wants and likes.

Especially if you keep the bike outside like too many non cyclist do, use grease on the chain, do not wipe it off so that it will be a barrier against the weather. It will attract more dirt and grit but it is a trade off.
Apply grease on everything else! Everything will rust, that is steel. Screws, bolts, frame...
Being kept outside is a very fast way to ruin a bike!
Also another good idea is to buy a quality air gage or floor pump with a quality gage. Too often KIDS and adults ruin wheels and tires due to under inflation. Over inflation causes a uncomfortable ride, tire wear and loss of traction. I have a friend that I mountain bike with and he always gets flats due to under inflation! I do not understand him. He is not stupid and even goes on mountain bike vacations around the country. I would think he would know better. He seems to have NO mechanical ability. I have often explained he should get a quality gage, and use it.
Good riding to you and your family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ledslinger
I use Motorex 2000

I use Motorex stuff as well. ChainL on my chain, which I suspect is some kind of gear oil, and tacky auto grease on pawls and other stuff.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mtnbikerva1
Unless you are very not tall and it is not too late return the 26 inch wheel bike!
The 29 inch wheel is the way to go for most and is the latest technology since about 2000 or so now.
I have repaired the department store bikes and they always... if they have grease at all, is crap........

All great advice!

I honestly knew nothing about bicycles prior to buying this mongoose dolomite, which is pretty funny at my age, with kids ranging from 8 to 18.

It's likely this bike isn't the best fit for my 6ft, 220lb baked potato-like chassis and they way I'll use it, but I am quite comfortable on it and I find it a joy to ride the way I've been able to use it so far. Honestly, I feel like it's a waste letting my bride spend the $279 on what I have and I know this is peanuts compared to a real bicycle.

In regards to the grease situation, I mail ordered one of those nifty little 3oz thumb trigger pump grease guns for $10 on eBay and a 1lb can of mail order grease that I should be able to pass on to my kids one day.

All of our bicycles are kept in the clean, dry garage or shed. They're not left out in the elements, but by no means will be in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Mtnbikerva1
I have repaired the department store bikes and they always... if they have grease at all, is crap........

All great advice!

I honestly knew nothing about bicycles prior to buying this mongoose dolomite, which is pretty funny at my age, with kids ranging from 8 to 18.

It's likely this bike isn't the best fit for my 6ft, 220lb baked potato-like chassis and they way I'll use it, but I am quite comfortable on it and I find it a joy to ride the way I've been able to use it so far. Honestly, I feel like it's a waste letting my bride spend the $279 on what I have and I know this is peanuts compared to a real bicycle.

In regards to the grease situation, I mail ordered one of those nifty little 3oz thumb trigger pump grease guns for $10 on eBay and a 1lb can of mail order grease that I should be able to pass on to my kids one day.

All of our bicycles are kept in the clean, dry garage or shed. They're not left out in the elements, but by no means will be in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

What is the frame size you are riding? When I started riding a lot in the 1980s I learned about how the wheel size wasn't the critical dimension. It's the frame size to be concerned with, especially if you have long legs. The size I refer to is the distance between the top of the seat tube to the center of the bottom bracket. I rode a 25" frame. A guy in my bike club who was 6'4" rode a 27" frame, which was the largest available at the time. Road bikes of the period had 27" wheels and mountain bikes had 26" for better control over rough terrain.

Online it says this bike has an 18" frame size. If I check it quick n dirty with a tape measure, it's like ~17.5".

I seem to recall that a good rule of thumb was 10-11" less than your inseam. You want your knee just slightly bent when the pedal is at its lowest point (6 o'clock position). It's easier on your knees that way.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I seem to recall that a good rule of thumb was 10-11" less than your inseam. You want your knee just slightly bent when the pedal is at its lowest point (6 o'clock position). It's easier on your knees that way.

Good info. I'm learning more about bikes from you guys than I ever have.

My inseam is 32" so perhaps this frame size isn't ideal. With a pedal at the lowest point, my leg is about ~160deg maybe?

Back