Grease for a semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, nothing beats LE Almagard Vari-Purpose Lubricant. Comes in 0, 1, 2 NLGI. May be an overkill in terms of cost/benefit. Lubrication Engineers is a truly high class operation: not much marketing noise, yet excellent state of art products. I use it for one spindle bearing and bushing that require NLGI 1 every 30k.

Dusty, there is no Delo Ultraduty EP. There is Chevron Ultraduty EP, their lowest priced grease. There is Delo Grease EP, one tier up; Delo HD [Syn] Moly x%, Black Pearl EP, etc.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Dusty, there is no Delo Ultraduty EP. There is Chevron Ultraduty EP, their lowest priced grease. There is Delo Grease EP, one tier up; Delo HD [Syn] Moly x%, Black Pearl EP, etc.

Yup you're right. Force of habit I guess, in calling it Delo instead of Chevron. Either way the Chevron Ultra Duty EP was a let down in terms of "feel" when greasing my truck's front end. I'm still a fan of Delo products, though.

I will try the Delo EP when I get the chance. Sorry for my mix up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I will try the Delo EP when I get the chance. Sorry for my mix up.

And Delo ESI grease is one tier up over Delo EP
smile.gif
Still, quite affordable

I think Delo EP and ESI have the same description for use but if I remember correctly, the ESI is for "extended service interval".

The local Volvo dealer carried multiple Delo oils but for some reason only carried the Chevron Ultra Duty, rather than Delo greases. I despise the local Chevron distributor so not looking there.

I have a good thing going with Delvac Extreme grease now. It seems to be on par with Mystik JT6 in my experience and I can get it anytime at TA and Petro truckstops nationwide.

I use Amsoil off road polymeric with moly.... So far i haven't found grease that stays put as well as this stuff. It makes my volvo 780 steer and ride noticeable smoother for longer and the U joints aren't going dry nearly as fast as other greases from various service shops. I Also used the Chevron greases which we good but not as good as this polymeric Amsoil stuff.

Last edited:
What are you guys finding that you like about the mystic jt6??? I used it but was very disappointed in it. Used in tractor, dozer, backhoe, combine, truck, trailer

Originally Posted By: Jddan
What are you guys finding that you like about the mystic jt6??? I used it but was very disappointed in it. Used in tractor, dozer, backhoe, combine, truck, trailer

I used Mystik for a couple of years and liked it very much, using it for my heavy trucks in OTR use. I like the feel of everything when driving after a fresh grease job; like getting nice on center feedback in the steering and the cushioning effect of fresh grease in the kingpins and steering linkages.

Mystik was a clear upgrade over the Shell Gadus I was using previously. It stayed put and required less grease at each use. I grease my truck every 3k-5k so that I can get underneath and check it over good, but the less grease that everything takes, the less I go through. Mystik was the best I had ever used, but my Walmart quit selling it.

For the record, I switched to Mobil Delvac Extreme and really liked that, too. Then for a tryout, this past winter I tried a case of Walmart supertech grease and didn't like that. It made the truck steer hard, which was fine for going straight down the road, but not nice for tight maneuvers. I'd never had a grease do that, prior. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I briefly used a Chevron grease that I found was similar to Shell Gadus, and wasn't happy with it.

For the last couple of months, I've been using Valvoline Cerulean grease. I'm extremely happy with it and my NAPA store back home keeps it on the shelves as it's popular with the dairy farmers. It'll get tested further in the summer heat (especially in the desert), but I'm impressed so far.

Grease with moly seems to be preferred by many here, at BITOG. I'm afraid it might make the steering "too easy" for my preference. Besides, moly grease should not be used in some (brake) slack adjusters, mine included.

Last edited:
I agree about it be It being a step up from gadus, but the consumption and operating temp when read with infrared thermometer on combine caused me to do a bit more searching. I've heard others that liked the jt6, which is why I asked

Well, if you're reading temps on the machinery, then probably a moly loaded grease would get you the lowest numbers. For the last few years I've been running trucks with sealed u-joints, so nothing for me to check the temps in high speed use (for comparing greases). I'm just looking for a grease to stay put and provide a good feel in the front end of a truck.

Are you saying that you have seen high consumption of grease in your combines when using Mystik? Maybe you could try (or already are trying) one of the super greases from John Deere, Amsoil or Schaeffer's. The basic chassis greases (GC-LB) are fine for my needs.

Ok, cool. Someone on this board posted a UOA of Texas Refinery diesel oil (from a Cummins powered combine I think ?) some time back. I'm not familiar with them but apparently it's available somewhere in upstate NY, just not in my neck of the woods.

It works well for you, then?

In my opinion it is the best I have ever used. Has a price tag to match, but is to be expected I guess. Which is why I was so curious about the mystic, if I had missed something or gotten a bad batch or...? Many people I talk to seem to like it very much.

As a side note, if you are ever interested in trying a tube of the trc, let me know I'll mail ya 1.

Yup, I was very happy with the JT-6 and there have been very positive comments from others on here. It was the best I had ever used when I first tried it and I only stumbled upon it when I let myself run out of my usual grease. The Kenworth dealer in Kansas City had it and said it was fantastic stuff, so I bought a case and I was impressed. Now, I truly believe that the Valvoline Cerulean is just great stuff, too. I'm only speaking about my use as a chassis and 5th wheel grease, but I sure do like it.

I appreciate your offer, but I won't bother you with that.
thumbsup2.gif
I will be looking into TRC, though. I'm completely uninformed of their products as I've never seen them anywhere at home or around the lower 48 states. Truck stops mostly stick with the big oil companies for oil and grease products, and I don't go looking for the independent offerings on the road.

Ok, thanks. They operate like Schaeffer's then? I'm going to read up on their products and give them some consideration. Although, for my needs my NAPA guy has good grease at a good price. I'm a geek who likes to get under the truck and keep a close watch of everything anyway, and I always take the grease gun with me.

Same idea. You can order and it gets shipped direct to you, but if you contact a salesman, they usually stock some so if you want to try some you can buy a few tubes or a box of 10 instead of the 50 tubes they ship to you.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I've been a bit busy and too tired to spend much time on the interweb, so I haven't been able to look them up yet. I'll get to check them out sooner or later. I usually try a full case of grease before I make a decision about it, but wouldn't want to buy a box of 50 tubes to try something new.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back