Gravity bleeding brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I "one man" bleed mine, no need for fancy bleeders.. Clear(looped) tubing, empty pop bottle w/some brake in it. I have a precut piece of wood to wedge between the seat and the half way down brake pedal. Pump brakes, only half way down. After several pumps, on the way down insert the piece of wood do not allow the pedal to rise up before tightening the bleeder, go to the wheel verify there isn't bubbles in the "loop" and the fluid is clear, fill master cyl. repeat if needed, otherwise snug up bleeder. Takes me about 10-15 minutes and a quart of fluid to do. No need to cycle ABS as long as you didn't introduce air in system by replacing a brake line or module.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great tips, everyone. I'm going to do this in the spring when the weather warms up. Will probably use Honda brake fluid because it'll give me the warm & fuzzies
grin.gif

Originally Posted by anndel
You get many different procedures so I'll add mine which is a little faster than gravity.

- Start with the farthest wheel and I use a Mityvac vacuum system.
- Remove the MC cover then use a turkey baster and remove some fluid but do not empty and introduce air into the system.
- Remove the wheel, connect the hose to the bleeder then loosen bleeder.
- Pump several times (make sure valve on Mityvac is on vacuum not pressure (can act as a pump on some models).
- Check MC and make sure to keep topped off with fresh brake fluid. Make sure you use fluid your vehicle specifies.
- Pump until fluid is clear and keep MC topped off.
- Go to the next farthest and repeat.
- Check the FSM as you may have to bleed the ABS as well.
- Rinse any spilled fluid on paint with water as it will eat paint.

This is the exact procedure I use as well with very good results and I use the Mityvac system as well.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
This is not possible. The reservoir above the master cylinder will ALWAYS be higher than the calipers. Even if the flow-rate seems low, there is zero chance of a static brake system ingesting air at the caliper vent port, using the gravity-bleed method.

I agree the pressure is there, but it is only a few feet of head. You're splitting the flow from the MC 4 ways. If the flow into the wheel cylinder from the MC is less than going out through the bleeder a vacuum will form in the wheel cylinder and can suck air.

I did calipers a couple of times and used my Mityvac to pull fluid; did some fluid changes too. But for some reason, last few times I've gone to use it, all it does is pull air around the threads on the bleeders--and that's on several vehicles.
21.gif
Last couple calipers I've done, I've just left the bleeders cracked and let it drip (dirt driveway).

I've had issues on my Tundra, it never bleeds properly (ok it's only been twice but you get the idea). Pull all the fluid I want, but pedal will go to the floor. Have to move it a few feet, then try again. I think I might actually have to drive it a bit and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back