Gotta Love BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Last weekend, I took our brand new 2011 BMW 535i home for a couple of days of driving enjoyment. I delighted in the comfortable ride, quietness, and beautiful interior.

BMWs generally aren't cheap, and our latest 5 Series was no exception. To the $49,600 base price we added metallic paint, the Cold Weather Package, and two Premium Packages. The bottom line: $58,357.

My initial drive was going well until I started hearing a chime about every 20 minutes, which also heralded a dashboard message that read: "Emergency call failed." I figured I only had to initialize the BMW SOS system and feed it a code. According to the salesman, that would hush the chime and forestall the warning message.

The SOS feature is a service that locates the car in case of an accident. If an air bag deploys, the car sends out an automated call to summon help to your location. In our previous BMWs, the SOS system had been activated by the dealer. This one apparently wasn't.

BMW-535i-SOS-button
In order to resolve that pesky message, I stopped at a rest area off a parkway and pressed the SOS button. I got a faint connection and quickly blurted out, "This is not an emergency; I just want to initiate the system." However, the connection went dead after three seconds. I made another attempt the next day in my driveway, but that didn't take, either. Later my neighbor told me that the police came looking for a silver BMW. (Ours is blue.)

I then decided to call the BMW salesperson, who then referred me to a technical expert to walk me through the process. Turned out he couldn't make the message go away either, and told me we'd have to bring the car in, as something might be wrong with the software.

The car continued to call 911 even with the keys removed while it was in our parking lot at the test track. This prompted a very irate call from the local police, who jokingly threatened to bring some of their larger implements to stop it from bothering them. Our workshop finally disconnected the trunk-mounted battery and then called roadside assistance, which refused to come and collect the vehicle as it was still drivable. We think that BMW's decision to not come and get the car because it is "drivable" (just to save the company a few bucks) is poor customer relations.

So the next issue then hit us: with the battery disconnected there is no mechanical way of opening the trunk. We had to get a battery jumper pack and connect it to the jump start terminals under the hood allowing us to electrically open the trunk and reconnect the battery. Once we got it going, we headed to the dealer. The system continued to call 911.

It took a week to get our 5 Series back from the dealer; it needed a new control module. For $58,000 you'd think that all systems would have been checked and verified before the dealer handed us the keys. We don't think that's too much to ask.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/20...cries-wolf.html

33.gif

33.gif
indeed.

And yet, people still insist on more and more electronic gadgetry that is made the cheapest way possible.

Can't blame the automakers for supplying these things, after all sheeple want it and they want it cheap.
I suspect these types of incidents will only get worse, far worse before they get better.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Can't blame the automakers for supplying these things, after all sheeple want it and they want it cheap.

Really? A guy spends $60,000 on a car that is is essentially undrivable and it's his fault for buying the option and not BMW's for offering a system that doesn't work?

That's a pretty bad customer service. The goal for BMW is to make car ownership hassles invisible to the customer and this dealership failed miserably.

Originally Posted By: kb01

Really? A guy spends $60,000 on a car that is is essentially undrivable and it's his fault for buying the option and not BMW's for offering a system that doesn't work?

Yep, that's right, what you fail to understand is the fact that all these electronic gizmos are made to the same standards as in a cheap econobox, just because the BMW costs 60k doesn't mean the electronics are any better, but you are buying more "toys" and other fluff for 60k, that's it.

The perfect example of "getting what you pay for" is the 80's Mercedes cars, especially W123 chassis. It is one of the best engineered cars in the world, it was expensive when new, but you got what you paid for it in excellent engineering, great ride quality, ease of maintenance, unsurpassed durability and reliability, but from options point of view it was the same as other cars.

These days it’s a totally different story, people want their comforts and toys. People want hands free Bluetooth, mp3s, iPod integration, seat warmers etc. etc. Most econoboxes come with these features these days, so what luxury manufacturers have to do to make their customers "feel" like their money is well spent? Squeeze in as many electronic gadgets as they possibly can, even if it means putting stuff in that was not properly tested. Money no longer goes to better engineering, it is spent on coming up with new features and toys and then marketing them.

I agree. I've yet to see the news coverage on the picketing and protesting consumers that DEMAND!!! more bling in their thing.

I don't know if it's a natural evolution when you get to this point in the state of the art ..or if designers/engineers are bored and seek to further complicate things. In fairness, it's kinda what they're hardwired to do.

Perhaps the future has a droid aspect to it.

Han Solo: I'm going to shut everything down but the emergency power systems.
C-3PO: Sir, I'm almost afraid to ask but, does that include shutting me down?
Han Solo: Nooooooo, I need you to talk to the Falcon and find out what's wrong with the hyperdrive

If I were rich I would probably still drive a basic run of the mill car like a Hyundai or a Honda Accord.

I just don't get the premium overpriced vehicles like BMW.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If I were rich I would probably still drive a basic run of the mill car like a Hyundai or a Honda Accord.

21.gif

Depends on how you use them; I prefer RWD cars with above average handling AND comfort. For me I've found that BMWs suit my needs better than most anything else out there. If I couldn't own a BMW I'd probably go with an Audi S4, an Infiniti G37, a GT 500, or a Porsche Cayman. Having said all that, I definitely don't like the electronic complexity built into the newer cars. Should I buy a new BMW in the next year or two it will almost certainly be the upcoming M iteration of the 1 Series.
As far as reliability goes, my 1995 318ti and 2004 X3 have both been stellar. My 3er track rat has 120K on the clock and it's only required a thermostat, a few bulbs, serpentine belts and idler pulleys(3), and a brake light switch(a whole $16!!!). Brakes last 50K, tires 30K.
As for the X3, at 98K it has needed a passenger SRS sensor(warranty), a set of tires at 48K and 96K miles, and brakes at 60K.
Repair and maintenance costs for both are averaging right at 5 cents per mile.
Different strokes, and all that, so buy what you like. I could see owning a Genesis R-Spec Coupe or an S2000 -even a Civic Si if I was forced to drive another FWD sled- but I find the other Hyundais and Hondas to be too dangerous; if I had to drive one I'd die of boredom...

Originally Posted By: StevieC

21.gif

Founder of Amazon drove a Honda Accord for a while.

I just did a ring job on a saturn s-series for a doctor.

After years of buying and maintaining cars, my philosophy on spending lots of $$$ for a nameplate is:

it's primary purpose is transportation and it depreciates as the months and miles roll by.

That doesn't mean I subscribe to the Yugo-level of car buying, but I also won't drop $50K on a ride just because I have the wherewithal to do so.

As MCompact said: "different strokes." But regardless of your "stroke," it's transportation and it depreciates.

Yep, that's right, what you fail to understand is the fact that all these electronic gizmos are made to the same standards as in a cheap econobox, just because the BMW costs 60k doesn't mean the electronics are any better, but you are buying more "toys" and other fluff for 60k, that's it.

So BMW has no obligation to make sure options on their cars work as advertised? It's entirely the driver's fault for buying a car with it installed?

I like the gadgets and gizmos. I also like BMW, Audi and higher end cars. I really like the A4, and the VW Passat/CC. If I have the money, I'm getting teh bells and whistles. If I want barebones transportation, I'd keep my cavalier.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I like the gadgets and gizmos. I also like BMW, Audi and higher end cars. I really like the A4, and the VW Passat/CC. If I have the money, I'm getting teh bells and whistles. If I want barebones transportation, I'd keep my cavalier.

Everyone's different.

I want a car that performs - handles really well and has a manual transmission, and doesn't weigh much. Lots of power is nice, but don't need that much, so I don't care that much about a big engine.

I would want an M3 with no iDrive computers, minimal electronic stuff.

Last edited:

. . .

Kris, I sorry, but your position simply makes no sense at all. The car comes with a WARRANTY that says the stuff will work. The law (at least in the US) gives the wty even more teeth than it would have as a mere matter of contract. And yes, it is reasonable for customers to expect a car to perform as advertised. If the things don't work, even the "trivial" things, then it's the manufacturer's responsibility to see to it that they do. It ain't that hard. If it were the power windows, would you say, well too bad, the customer wants too many features? Again, makes not sense at all. Additionally, as we all know, the profit margin, especially in this segment, is huge. There's simply no excuse for ANYTHING on the car to NOT work as advertised. Finally, except for the highly improbable scenario of this failure first popping up the moment the customer took the car, this problem should have been easily detected during the dealer shakedown of the car. One might excuse a Chevy dealer (very maybe) for not pre-testing everything on a base Cobalt, but a BMW dealer delivering a 5-series car had darned well make sure EVERYTHING works before handing over the keys to a customer who has just handed over a whole lot of money. There's simply no excuse for this sort of nonsense, and Kris, you're just dead wrong on this one...

So BMW has no obligation to make sure options on their cars work as advertised? It's entirely the driver's fault for buying a car with it installed?

You did not read my entire post, I did say that they put in a lot of features that are not properly tested. Luxury cars are a test bed for new features and toys. It comes with the territory because people that buy these cars don't care about the bottom line and econobox like reliability, but they want the cutting edge of technology and that comes at a price. Some of that technology, when proven reliable, moves down to less expensive models, that's the evolution of technology.

So yes, it is the driver's fault for buying a car loaded with the latest and greatest toys and expecting an econobox like reliability when it comes to electronics, BMW drive trains are proven in reliability and durability.

Remember you get what you pay for. The more it cost the better it is!
thumbsup2.gif

See I have learned something while here at BITOG over the years!
48.gif

Bill

PS: Threads like this make me VERY happy that I don't fall for all the fluff. My time (and blood pressure) is way too important to be a tester for the MFG...

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
You did not read my entire post, I did say that they put in a lot of features that are not properly tested. Luxury cars are a test bed for new features and toys. It comes with the territory because people that buy these cars don't care about the bottom line and econobox like reliability, but they want the cutting edge of technology and that comes at a price. Some of that technology, when proven reliable, moves down to less expensive models, that's the evolution of technology.

So yes, it is the driver's fault for buying a car loaded with the latest and greatest toys and expecting an econobox like reliability when it comes to electronics, BMW drive trains are proven in reliability and durability.

Kris, I sorry, but your position simply makes no sense at all. The car comes with a WARRANTY that says the stuff will work. The law (at least in the US) gives the wty even more teeth than it would have as a mere matter of contract. And yes, it is reasonable for customers to expect a car to perform as advertised. If the things don't work, even the "trivial" things, then it's the manufacturer's responsibility to see to it that they do. It ain't that hard. If it were the power windows, would you say, well too bad, the customer wants too many features? Again, makes not sense at all. Additionally, as we all know, the profit margin, especially in this segment, is huge. There's simply no excuse for ANYTHING on the car to NOT work as advertised. Finally, except for the highly improbable scenario of this failure first popping up the moment the customer took the car, this problem should have been easily detected during the dealer shakedown of the car. One might excuse a Chevy dealer (very maybe) for not pre-testing everything on a base Cobalt, but a BMW dealer delivering a 5-series car had darned well make sure EVERYTHING works before handing over the keys to a customer who has just handed over a whole lot of money. There's simply no excuse for this sort of nonsense, and Kris, you're just dead wrong on this one...

Read my above post, I agree that BMW should fix the problem without hassle, but you have to be realistic about any new technology. It will have some early teething problems. Just ask those early plasma TV buyers that paid through the nose for the privilege to be the first ones to own one.

Do what you will, but I recommend you back away from this argument as quickly and gracefully as you can, because what you're saying is both illogical and legally unsupportable.

The law puts "fault" (if you want to call it that) squarely on the shoulders of the car maker. It has to work as advertised, simple as that. If it doesn't, it's the car makers responsibility.

And let's not forget, this is not some trivial fault like one's I-pod connector not working correctly. This car has the nasty habit of constantly dialing 911. Arguably, this is the first time I've ever heard of a car actually itself committing a crime. Now that IS novel. Point is, however, a car constantly calling 911 is not some trivial fault that can be written of as, "oh well, one of those little electronic bugs". It's actually dangerous and illegal.

Trying to lay this one at the customer's feet is beyond absurd. Poor old GM, almost everyone's favorite whipping boy (until you-know-who recently) has had On-Star working pretty much flawlessly for about a decade.

One more time: BMW is at fault here, and they have no excuse at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back