Got some Castrol Edge 0w-30 for free. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Yea, the SL made me think twice about it if the little DI Turbo as well

No worries. It is due to zinc limitations in W30 oils. That formula is as current as it could be, and considering amount of zinc inside, protecting engine better.
But, API anyway is not stringent as MB 229.5, VW 502.00 and especially BMW LL-01.
Only reason why I am not using 0W30 in Tiguan is that 0W40 (same base stock) is much cheaper, so price difference does not justify it.
But used that oil always before 0W40 became available in Wal mart. IMO, best oil for turbo engines.

I use it in my ecoboost. I have some uoa's in the uoa forum if you are interested.

As everyone else has noted, an A3/B4 oil far exceeds the requirements of the dexos 1 cert.
This oil will cost you some fuel economy relative to an ISAC 5W-30 dexos 1, but you'll never notice this unless you very carefully fill the tanks every time and hand calculate consumption with each tank always.
This would be a good oil for both the turbo Malibu and the truck.
I personally used GC in both of our old, now gone Accords as well as the Forester, so I'm not just writing that you should go ahead and do something that I wouldn't or haven't.
A truly good oil for free?
What's not to like?

Sorry for taking so long to respond, hunting season is keeping me from the internet. Thanks for all the replies! I will use it with confidence.

What a great friend...I can't even find that oil on store shelves anymore
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
What a great friend...I can't even find that oil on store shelves anymore
frown.gif

It's scarce
An AutoZone by my house has a stash
Old stock I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back