Got some Castrol Edge 0w-30 for free. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have this friend that gave me 12 Quarts of recent production made in Belgium Castrol Edge 0w-30 API SL A3/B4 BMW LL-01 European Formula and I am wondering how I can use it. I would like to use it in both my vehicles. 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 Max Trailer Package Crew Cab 6 liter (no DEXOS required)115,000 miles on the odometer. And my wife's 2016 Chevy Malibu with a 1.5 liter turbo, direct injected engine (DEXOS required) Link ot engine info 7,000 miles on the odometer. Don't care about warranty repercussions with using non DEXOS oil.

Manuals for both state that 5w-30 is the recommended weight but 0w-30 can be used as well.

So what does the members of BITOG say? Put them in both vehicles and run them to the end of the OLM or something different?

Yea, I guess I am a little more interested in the little turbo direct injected engine than the truck engine. I have to say that little 1.5 liter bugger is pretty impressive with mileage and power output.

Originally Posted By: cnatra
the truck sure

little DI turbo probably

I'm not familiar with DEXOS requirments

It's a great oil though

Well the Castrol 0w30 specs are tougher to hit than the Dexos specification. BMW LL-01 or 04 and MB 229.5 are both tougher in terms of wear protection, piston deposit forming, and not forming sludge. The only part where these specs aren't has tough is fuel economy. Which is obvious due to the minimum HTHS for those European specs is 3.5.

So, if you don't care about the warranty aspect on the 2016... I would say go for it. The Castrol 0w30 has better characteristics than a Dexos approved oil. Not that Dexos specification is a poor or weak spec. It isn't. It's just how tough those other specifications are.

Forget Dexos. BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 are much toughr specs.
Forget truck! Use it in Turbo engine and keep using it in that engine.
IMO: turbo engine=Euro spec. oil.

Sounds like a good friend. 0W-30 may even be better for your climate than 5W-30, especially for Michigan winters. When it's very cold, the 0W will flow more easily than the 5W, and when it's hot / after the engine warms up they would be equivalent at 30-weight. Also if the oil meets BMW LL-01 then it will easily last the life of an OLM calibrated for DEXOS.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Sounds like a good friend. 0W-30 may even be better for your climate than 5W-30, especially for Michigan winters. When it's very cold, the 0W will flow more easily than the 5W, and when it's hot / after the engine warms up they would be equivalent at 30-weight. Also if the oil meets BMW LL-01 then it will easily last the life of an OLM calibrated for DEXOS.

Not equivalent of ILSAC GF-5 W30 oil. Castrol 0W30 oil is very heavy W30 on verge of being 0W40. It has cst of 12.1 and HTHS of 3.58cp. For example Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS of 3.6cp.

Last edited:
Turbo DI engine. Yes I'd put some thicker GC stuff in that thing no problem. Will shear it down to a Dexos 30 grade in no time.

Yes, you can safely use on both cars until the OLM tells you to change it
smile.gif

Isn't that stuff Dexos2 rated already? I know Castrol SLX 5W-30 is and it's one of the only ones I've seen with the Dexos2 label. Dexos2 doesn't even come into place until 2018.

I wouldn't worry about it, as far as Castrol goes, that's probably the best you can buy right there. A true group 4 synthetic too.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Isn't that stuff Dexos2 rated already? I know Castrol SLX 5W-30 is and it's one of the only ones I've seen with the Dexos2 label. Dexos2 doesn't even come into place until 2018.

I wouldn't worry about it, as far as Castrol goes, that's probably the best you can buy right there. A true group 4 synthetic too.

Nope, Dexos II is lower SAPS oil.

Well I just put 6qts in my turbo DI engine
My concern was the older SL spec

$7.99 a qt locally so I think you got a great deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back