Got side swiped last night.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
But book value can't be much. A body shop bill will be very high to repair and repaint all that. If it is considered totaled, I would just buy it back from insurance at the salvage value (probably under $500) and buff it out best I could. Touch up paint here and there, and enjoy my $500 car.

I am not saying the OP is at fault in any way, but in Ohio you have to park within 12 inches form the curb. Husband may be a jack***, but he may have had a point.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
But book value can't be much. A body shop bill will be very high to repair and repaint all that. If it is considered totaled, I would just buy it back from insurance at the salvage value (probably under $500) and buff it out best I could. Touch up paint here and there, and enjoy my $500 car.

The Geo Metro I had worth $1500 tops cost just around $1500 to repair, and the insurance of the company van that rear ended it, paid it without putting up a fight. They were probably getting sued to high heaven by the pedestrian that my car was pushed into when rear ended, so they were happy to pay $1500 to fix my car and be done with me.

Before you ask: no, I couldn't have taken a $1500 check and kept the car as it was or got another. Initially, the insurance company only wanted to pay $450 for the bumper itself. It had more damage than that, but that's all their adjuster sighted as needing replacement. I had to take it to a body shop for estimated repair costs before the insurance company would actually pay what it would cost to fix it. I was expecting a call from the body shop saying the insurance company preferred to total it out, but amazingly they didn't.

Back in Arkansas, I had two different early 90s cars that were technically "totaled" (the two red ones pictured above) by insurance companies in accidents but they never bothered to label the titles as such since they just paid me for the value of the cars and I kept the cars. There was never any transfer of title to the insurance company then back to me, warranting a salvage title, so they kept "clear" titles. One eventually went to a dealer as a trade in (probably went directly to savage anyway) and the other I sold directly to a salvage yard myself later on after the engine went bad.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
I am not saying the OP is at fault in any way, but in Ohio you have to park within 12 inches form the curb. Husband may be a jack***, but he may have had a point.
there is no "curb" blacktop stops at the grass

Well, then it would be 12 inches from the edge of the road. The idea is to not park in the middle of the road.

How far from the edge of the road is reasonable to you?

What is the law in IL?

If the road is narrow, 12 inches from the edge of the pavement (assuming it's not a bad dropoff) would be overkill. It might mean you lose a mirror, or worse.

12 inches is FAR from the curb. When I'm a passenger and someone parks that far out, I ask them to call me a cab for the ride to the curb
lol.gif

In California the legal limit is 24" from the curb. I usually parked within 6-8" from the curb, but my wife did about 10-15" most of the time, sometimes up to 20-30".

People typically don't park in the street in Wisconsin where this happened. Most of the resident are seasonal and primarily up there in the summer months. When we got up there before new years the driveways were frozen solid 6 inches of ice, no way you were getting into the driveway. During the summer if I have to park on the street I usually have 50% of the car in the grass and 50% on the road.
In Chicago I try and park under 6 inches away from the curb. Got watch those rims though... Don't want any rash.

Last edited:
Got a check in mail today for $1744.75.
Seems fair enough. Will replace mirror, a small trim piece by wheel, then probably a tiny amount of filler and touch up paint on rear quarter panel. If the car is worth about $3000 before accident, it is definitely worth more than 1300 as is. I think I should fix minimal amount and drive the car a few more years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Well could've been worse for sure. Those are great cars. Just getting up in age. Probably still last you as long as you care to drive it.

Agreed. I'd do as much of the work as you can yourself. Even pull the door panels and knock out any dents you need to. Replace the mirror. Use carb cleaner to get the [censored] off the paint, then rubbing compound to work out as much as you can, then see where you stand.

You just can't buy heavy RWD platforms that drive and ride as stately as these right now. I'd hang on to it as long as I could.

-M

I'd say that is almost a great deal.

Do the work yourself and try to find the parts used if you can. Hopefully you'll have less than $100 in it.

IMAG1267.jpg

Got the new mirror on!
I couldnt figure out how to get the screw behind the window switch without breaking the whole thing.... so I just tweaked back the right upper corner of the door panel and could just barely get at the three 10mm bolts.
But I got it all back together and all the power works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back