Got my first jack and stands, how bad did I do?

I plan on doing some brake work on the Jetta soon and start doing my own tire rotations (that part I did today). Knowing that the use of these tools will be limited, I didn't feel the need to purchase "high end" products. I did some research and landed on these products. I used them tonight to do a tire rotation on the Jetta and they felt very solid. What do you all think? The stands were on sale and the floor jack was improperly listed in store, so the worker marked it down to $150.

That jack is fantastic and the jack stands look fine. I have that style stand with the locking pin insert and i really like it

I don't think he's getting under it. Anything that requires me getting under the car like that goes to a shop.
I have some 20 inch oak logs about 12 inches long I use for extended Work under the car.Just trying to keep him safe.

Best of luck with project. One bit of advice is that unless you are parked on concrete, those stands need some wood pads or they will sink into asphalt, etc. Another tip is that You Tube is your friend. Please post a follow up. I just had my porch rails redone and have plenty of 4x4 and 2x4 blocks. I prefer my blocking to jack stands. I found a You Tube "how to " about how to raise a '16 Camry before I lifted mine to do do some brake work and rotate the tires. With my beast of a 10yr old HF 3 ton jack I can safely raise one side of the car from a lift point under the B pillar.

Last edited:
Best of luck with project. One bit of advice is that unless you are parked on concrete, those stands need some wood pads or they will sink into asphalt, etc. Another tip is that You Tube is your friend. Please post a follow up.
Concrete pad.

I think you did fine with those. You picked awesome color too. I got mine before they came out with the blue lol. The Jack stands would make me a little nervous because of HF reputation with them but with them being a step up from the problematic they should be ok.

I think you did fine with those. You picked awesome color too. I got mine before they came out with the blue lol. The Jack stands would make me a little nervous because of HF reputation with them but with them being a step up from the problematic they should be ok.
What issues do they have?

Very good choice. I have pretty much the identical eqhipment in Canadian brand names. That jack has no trouble picking up half a pickup truck underneath the rear diff and have even picked up the complete front end with both wheels off the ground. Just don’t expect to pick the jack up off the floor.

Very good choice. I have pretty much the identical eqhipment in Canadian brand names. That jack has no trouble picking up half a pickup truck underneath the rear diff and have even picked up the complete front end with both wheels off the ground. Just don’t expect to pick the jack up off the floor.
Yeah I’ve picked it up 3 times today, not fun. I’m quite sore.

What issues do they have?
It was a few years ago but the Pittsburgh ones had a recall for suddenly falling because the pawl disengaged. After that they recalled the ones they replaced them with too. I guess they finally got it sorted out. I know everyone was a bit leery of the Daytona ones but I think you’ll be fine as they don’t have known issues. The Jack you can’t go wrong with either best Jack out there for the money and it’s definitely not light.

It was a few years ago but the Pittsburgh ones had a recall for suddenly falling because the pawl disengaged. After that they recalled the ones they replaced them with too. I guess they finally got it sorted out. I know everyone was a bit leery of the Daytona ones but I think you’ll be fine as they don’t have known issues. The Jack you can’t go wrong with either best Jack out there for the money and it’s definitely not light.

I guess that Pittsburgh steel wasn't up to the task n'at.

I guess that Pittsburgh steel wasn't up to the task n'at.
I think it's utterly insane to put my life in the hands of something of questionable repute from a Chinese offshore reseller. Same reason I don't buy Chinese tires. There are things worth spending more on and I firmly believe that tires, and things that are between you and death, fall into that category, even if you are on a budget.

Back