Got another $400 saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy wouldn't take three-fitty.
laugh.gif

Looked at car sunday morning, got title. Wife and kids dropped me at the car that afternoon then went and got ice cream.

Immediate needs: Belt tensioner, tire that held air, battery. These parts and tools were dropped off with me in the previous owner's driveway. The other tenant in his duplex appeared on the balcony, smoked, and stared.
lol.gif

I had a semi-good used belt tensioner, more on this later. PO had conveniently removed all the fasteners from one splash shield and disposed of the other half section of inner fender. Sweet! Though I brought a belt, his was better so I reused it.

Wife & kids reappear after 20 minutes, I tell them I'm almost done and go home without me.

Switch tires, install battery, load old junk into trunk. I only had/found one nitrile glove so my right forearm was greasy, ending in a pasty white hand. My left hand was greasy so I gingerly put it out the window, figuring I could wipe grease off the outer door panel easier than the interior surfaces (which are surprisingly in good shape.)

I hit the road, with brakes grinding mercilessly from sitting. A bluish black cloud of exhaust follows me. Kids riding bikes pull over and stop. I have no plates nor valid inspection sticker, but at least have a temporary insurance card. See no cops on my half hour drive home.
27.gif

After it warms up, it takes to bucking. RPMs are dropping, and this is a stick shift. Uh oh. Crank sensor flaking out comes to mind. Regardless, I make it home.

First stuff that gets fixed is the free stuff. I have a spare motor and move its crank sensor over. Not much better. I remove the ignition module and coils and clean up the mounting bolts that also ground things. At least they needed it.

Change coolant temp sensors (known issue) but pull an improved brass one. Inspect connector, might be corroded. Aha! Time for the computer motherboard HDD LED connector that conveniently has the same pinout!!!

S3010006_zps3d136568.jpg

Aha, now it doesn't spastically jump in idle speed as much and this also oddly seems related to its cutting out. Too soon to tell, needs an ITU.
crackmeup2.gif

Allright, as long as we're kludging stuff up for free... let's take an old heavy duty drawer slide (I have 20ish of these work was throwing out) and disassemble it for the scrap metal. Beware of the 140 ball bearings in 'em that will pop out on disassembly.

Form with a hammer and step drill, and viola! Gas tank strap! Used a carriage bolt for its round head so it doesn't dig into the tank.

S3010009_zpsad80baea.jpg

S3010010_zps1621246d.jpg

S3010013_zps65e81266.jpg

Came out taut like a banjo string.
01.gif

Okay, let's check the warped brakes:

S3010004_zps4df288d6.jpg

Facepalm. New rotors from amazon, pads from advance, complete axle for $50 total!!! Amazon shipped two rotors in two different boxes that arrived a day apart. This makes sense to them! Prime FTW.

S3010005_zps438b0e22.jpg

Future plans: Pass state inspection, then do comfort items like the thermostat. It also got peak 10w40 oil that I got cheap, and an exhaust flexpipe that wasn't all that exciting to photograph. I re-did the belt tensioner with a new cheapy one: the one I put in held the belt but the mechanism had friction and made the belt squeak. With a new tensioner the AC clutch chirped but gave it up after a minute.

Fuel lines are vinyl stem to stern and good.

Brake lines aren't bad either; I know they look sketchy by the clamps. But check out under the rockers; few other 18 year old cars look like this up here:

S3010015_zps61591509.jpg

Big laugh here when you mentioned the "ITU"

Refreshing to read threads that show pre-purchase knowledge/research and the logic, skill and creativity to make a cheap car purchase a smart buy

Well done !

Saturn for all its faults at least made the cars (mostly) easy to fix, starting with a clean paper design. It's not like a longitudinal engine meant for a different car line was turned sideways and you've got all these weird long hoses etc as a result.

I've bought nicer cars for $50. I'm sure you will whip that car back into shape. Good job. I would have replaced the calipers too, they are not that expensive.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Out of curiosity, did you pull the wheel bearings? Are they serviceable on these vehicles?

I've done it before, unless you are buy whole knuckles, you need a press. My 12 ton press was barely enough to push the old ones out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've bought nicer cars for $50.

So have I! The market's nuts right now.
frown.gif

Whats the condition of those trailing arm mounts.Being glorified sheetmetal,they rust completely away.Basically banishing the car to the crusher.

I've never in over a dozen of these cars had trailing arm mount issues.

Typically the first rust-out point for me is the driver's side subframe in front where the LCA fits. This car is so-so here, but if needed could take a flat plate welded onto that spot for a few more years of service.

Has a "Saturn of Haverhill" decal on the back: Sweet, a Southern car!!!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back