Got a new to me outboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After careful thought about buying the Briggs and Stratton 5hp, I was at the dealer today and they had a barely used 97' Mercury 9.9 hp for 1000 bucks even. It was a kicker motor on a large boat and the thing was barely run. It look and runs like it came from the show room. I think I did well. A new 9.9 from Merc ran 2300 at the same dealer.

Evidently, this outboard's power head unit is from Yamaha, and I think that is a good thing.

Currently running the recommended Yamaha 10w-30 with plans to go with Amsoil's WCT outboard oil.

Thoughts? This is my first 4-stroke outboard ever, so I am very happy about how quiet and non-smoky these are. Should have done this a long time ago.

Last edited:
You made the right decision to purchase a real outboard vs. that fragile B & S. Good luck with it.

I have owned nothing but two strokes, so this whole 4 stroke thing is a little different for me. What I like already is how quiet at idle this engine is. Seems like I the four stroke kind of winds up to its power whereas the two strokes get right to it.

I have a small boat so transom weight is critical and the the 9.9 and 15 evinrude/johnson 2 strokes only weigh about 80 pounds. The 4 strokes weigh up to 20 lbs. more. I have had my 2 stoke evinrude 9.9 for about 12 years. I'm amazed by how tough it is, and how well it runs.

Don't forget the Seafoam.
56.gif

Seafoam for sure. The guy at the dealer kept trying to get me to buy this stuff called "Startron Starbrite" and it is blue in color. He also said to go with stuff called "Quikleen" from Quiksilver.

Seafoam for me though. A lot cheaper too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back