Mercury V10 350-400 hp

Mercury just dropped their new 350-400 hp contenders, with a 5.7L V10 power head.

I'm curious if this uses the same 64° V design as their 3.4L V6 and 4.6L V8, and they just added cylinders in the middle.

I'm also curious to hear some of your guy's thoughts on how this new outboard will fare against the outgoing supercharged 2.6L L6 power head, as well as against the 350 hp offerings from Yamaha and Suzuki.

Mercury just dropped their new 350-400 hp contenders, with a 5.7L V10 power head.
Something unusual about spending more for the engine than the entire boat itself cost. Kinda like those people who spend thousands on oversize chrome rims for their $500 donks.

I'm curious if this uses the same 64° V design as their 3.4L V6 and 4.6L V8, and they just added cylinders in the middle.

I'm also curious to hear some of your guy's thoughts on how this new outboard will fare against the outgoing supercharged 2.6L L6 power head, as well as against the 350 hp offerings from Yamaha and Suzuki.
Believe Yamaha no longer offers a 350...now 300 or 425 only. We have the twin 350's...good engine, but some inherent weaknesses; flywheels are essentially a service item.

Believe Yamaha no longer offers a 350...now 300 or 425 only. We have the twin 350's...good engine, but some inherent weaknesses; flywheels are essentially a service item.
It appears you are correct. Thanks for letting me know.

How do flywheels become a service item? (Just out of curiosity). Are they prone to losing teeth?

It appears you are correct. Thanks for letting me know.

How do flywheels become a service item? (Just out of curiosity). Are they prone to losing teeth?
Apparently, there is a potential for a harmonic at, IIRC, 3500-4800 rpm that can damage the flywheel or crankshaft. The engine monitors rpm and alarms when the engines reach 80hrs in that band. Yamaha covers the replacement for the life of the engine supposedly....we haven't reached the interval yet.

Love the engines though; sewing machines at idle and a nice, subdued roar and great push w/ the levers forward.

Last edited:
Back