Got a crazy offer for our Minivan.

I decided to list our 2011 Toyota Sienna on craigslist and what have you to see if I can get what I listed it for. Plus, my ma kinda wants to get into a luxury car even though she has one. She really likes the BMW X7.
So, I got an offer of $22k for our minivan (I've got it listed at $22k. That's 3k above retail). I showed it to a gentleman Wednesday. He liked it and everything. He offered $20,750. I was at $21,250. Told him I'd let him know about his offer Thursday. Later that night, I had a talk with my parents and we decided to keep the van. I let him know and he was okay with it. I just got a call from him later this morning and he offered $22k.
But, idk we're not really convinced about selling it for an X7. $70k for a car seems like a lot of money. Well, dads okay with it. But, I don't think it's really a good financial decision to make taking into consideration that interest rates are super high along with car prices. Also, the van is 12 years old with 78k miles on it and looks newer than a lot of 4-year-old cars I see. We can get at least 15 more years out of it. Plus, it's more of a want than a need. We don't need a new/luxury car. We've got 2 of those already. But, $22k for a 12-year-old minivan is kind of hard to pass up.

That luxury suv will have tons of bells and whistles that will break eventually. You will likely have much higher maintenance with that once the warranty is gone. Be prepared to spend money and not just anyone will touch those.
That's exactly what I explained to them. I mean, we won't be driving it much. Maybe 5k/year at the max. But, with the Toyota, I can have it serviced at my job (I work at a Ford dealership). With that X7, if something electrical goes wrong, back to BMW, you go after the warranty expires. My job won't touch the X7.

Unless there's a real need to keep the minivan, I'd get rid of it and lease an X7. I mean if there's no need for a minivan, there's probably no need for an X7 either, but at least the X7 is cool lol.

Just realize once you go luxury, you can never go back.

Just realize once you go luxury, you can never go back.
Not necessarily.
We went from an 07 Focus sedan to an 06 IS350 with lower mileage.
Sure, it excelled in every way the Focus failed, except for one key (to us) feature, and that was "fun".

As a result we went back to a manual Honda and never looked back!
The ease of maintenance, aftermarket mods, fuel economy etc. all make me feel like a kid again.
We now look forward to going on winding highways where we can work the 6 speed stick and hear the HKS exhaust scream.
Couldn't have that much cheap fun with the Lexus!

See hardly any toyota dealers have those. If they do, they're $10k over sticker. Plus, the new siennas are ugly
well you have answered your own question might as well close this thead.;)

one by me at msrp

Give the Sienna an excellent detail inside and out from the best detailer in your neck of the woods. Upgrade the stereo system, put the absolute best tires you can find, and bring the fluids and maintenance back into day one condition.

You'll spend around $1500 to $2000, and that stupid little buying itch the others in your family are afflicted with will magically go away.

Give the Sienna an excellent detail inside and out from the best detailer in your neck of the woods. Upgrade the stereo system, put the absolute best tires you can find, and bring the fluids and maintenance back into day one condition.

You'll spend around $1500 to $2000, and that stupid little buying itch the others in your family are afflicted with will magically go away.
Ohh I detailed it a month ago. Clay bar and waxed it. The paint sparkles. I usually wax it every 6 months if I get the chance.
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Last edited:
well you have answered your own question might as well close this thead.;)

one by me at msrp
Dealership don't list market adjustments online. You find out when you go to them and talk number

IDK if I'd want a $70K vehicle in Chicago...it would entice carjackers.
Aside from that I agree that you'll pay more for maintenance and that it's a poor financial decision.

IDK if I'd want a $70K vehicle in Chicago...it would entice carjackers.
Aside from that I agree that you'll pay more for maintenance and that it's a poor financial decision.
I don't live in the City lol. Suburbs. But, they can afford the X7, just makes no sense IMO. I told them to get a CPO X5 instead of a CPO X7. We don't need a 3 row SUV. Hence the thought of selling the minivan. But, they like the convenience of a 3rd row. Plus, my younger brother can't really fit in the back seat of the X5 if the driver's seat is all the way back. But, no one drives with the seat all the way back.

I have the guy that offered us $22k on the sienna on hold for now. I'm still on the don't sell the Sienna boat.

I don't live in the City lol. Suburbs. But, they can afford the X7, just makes no sense IMO. I told them to get a CPO X5 instead of a CPO X7. We don't need a 3 row SUV. Hence the thought of selling the minivan. But, they like the convenience of a 3rd row. Plus, my younger brother can't really fit in the back seat of the X5 if the driver's seat is all the way back. But, no one drives with the seat all the way back.

I have the guy that offered us $22k on the sienna on hold for now. I'm still on the don't sell the Sienna boat.
If they can “afford” the X7, they wouldn’t be financing it.

(Flamesuit on)

If they can “afford” the X7, they wouldn’t be financing it.

(Flamesuit on)
I don't think anyone is going to drop $70k cash on a car even if they could. They're not financing $70k, it'll be less than half. Plus, if we pay cash, we loose $1k rebate from BMW.

exchanging a reliable, inexpensive, versatile, nice toyota for an expensive, looming-unknowns bmw, plus transaction costs…as we likely head into an economic depression and a return to higher gasoline costs…a hard pass. save your money and scratch the luxury car itch when the mortgage is paid off, the kids are out successfully on their own and you are enjoying a well-funded, early retirement.

exchanging a reliable, inexpensive, versatile, nice toyota for an expensive, looming-unknowns bmw, plus transaction costs…as we likely head into an economic depression and a return to higher gasoline costs…a hard pass. save your money and scratch the luxury car itch when the mortgage is paid off, the kids are out successfully on their own and you are enjoying a well-funded, early retirement.
Who me? What kids? Man, I'm only 24 😅. Parents' house is paid off. Parents Still have like 6-7 years until retirement I think.

Back