Got a basic $100 electric pressure washer... now I want more

Got a ryobi electric pressure washer from Home Depot for $100... that is 1600 psi and 1.2 GPM.

But not enough GPM for my foam cannon (which requires 1.3 GPM min, Adam's polishes).

But.. not liking how the garage lights dim and I squeeze the trigger... maybe get a gas one next to get the foamy suds out of the foam cannon...

2 bucket and use the cheap electric one for rinsing...

I got the ryobi one due to the Sarah-n-tuned youtube channel.

The, "Now I Want More" part of your title tells me you are considering going to a gas model with better flow, and a higher PSI rating ??? If so I purchased a Simpson 3,400 PSI / 2.5 GPM model a few years back, and I've been very happy with it thus far. Zero complaints. It has a Triplex Pump and a 6-1/2 H.P. Kohler engine... (Honda clone like all the rest).

I also bought a circular cleaner attachment, because I wanted rid of the rubber marks in my driveway the landscapers put there, loading and unloading their equipment. Both worked very well. Both of my neighbors on either side of me have electric models, and they lack the power they were after. They're good for washing off patio furniture and the like. And while electric models are lighter and easier to run and operate, most of them just don't have the soup for tough cleaning.

The main thing with ALL of them, (especially the gas models), is to ALWAYS be sure to prime the pump BEFORE starting the engine. Running a dry pump will toast it in no time. Mine doesn't have an idle down feature. So if I'm going to stop washing for anything but a few seconds, I shut it down. And NEVER loan it out to anyone. Because of it's infrequent use, I run Tru-Fuel in mine with a healthy dose of Pri-G Fuel Stabilizer. It always starts on the first or second pull, regardless of how long it sits. I bought mine from Lowe's. But this is the exact same model.

1630133145703.jpeg

Need to go gas…
Supposedly 3800 psi, 3.5 gpm per Dewalt. Honda GX270 and CAT pump.

The pump spec sheets indicate a gpm in the lower 3’s but regardless, it is decently powerful for car washing. You will never complain about inadequate volume.

Gas models do generally have more power and higher gpm but you might find they are less convenient for certain jobs unless you get a real expensive model. You cannot just lay the gun down while you scrub a tough spot, you have to shut the engine down or the lack of water flow will burn the pump up, you need to keep the trigger pressed while you pull the starter or the pump pressure will stop the engine from turning over and they are lager and heavy making them more difficult to move around with 1 hand or you shut it down and move then restart. No deal breakers just not nearly as convenient for smaller jobs like car washing.

OP you should do some more research before making that decision. If you look on obsessedgarage.com there is a spreadsheet of various electric pressure washers which includes data like GPM. You can get models like the Active VE52 (or CAT 1800, same exact model) that flow 2+ GPM. Additionally, look into an alternate orifice for the foam cannon from Adams. Many of use us the MTM Hydro PF22 and swap to the 1.25mm orifice for use with lower output pressure washers (I currently use the Ryobi 1600/1.2).

The Critic is right. I almost went electric again, but ended up with a $300 Ryobi Gas. I really like it. I had one of those Greenworks Electric PWs that is now 4 years old. Works great, it's just too weak.
33FC6352-ACFA-4F9B-B59A-E444CC4DC797.jpeg

I went from Electric to a Hotsy 3000psi 3.5 gpm. Honda Gx390 motor. It’s a beast. Government (local or school districts too) surplus you can get them for almost nothing. Usually need some very basic repairs.

Gas models do generally have more power and higher gpm but you might find they are less convenient for certain jobs unless you get a real expensive model. You cannot just lay the gun down while you scrub a tough spot, you have to shut the engine down or the lack of water flow will burn the pump up, you need to keep the trigger pressed while you pull the starter or the pump pressure will stop the engine from turning over and they are lager and heavy making them more difficult to move around with 1 hand or you shut it down and move then restart. No deal breakers just not nearly as convenient for smaller jobs like car washing.
This is true for many models but some of them are not quite as sensitive. I have the little Kaercher G2700R and I only need to shut it down if I stop for 5 min or longer. Also no need to hold the trigger for starting, but pressure needs to be released if it doesn't start after 3rd pull. I have never needed more than 2 pulls though...this thing starts and runs like a champ with E10 or E0 and no stabilizer, even after sitting for 6 mo.

Back