Got 5 quarts of GC, need a 6th: what oil to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find a 6th quart of GC for the life of me. There is one more store I'm going to check.

If I can't find it, what oil should I 'blend' in: American 0-30; Syntec; GTX; or something totally different, like Redline
grin.gif
?

This is for a hard driven Subaru 2.5L with 36,000 on the odometer. It will be seeing snow temps in December (going to Yosemite for X-mas).

Nate

Since we don't know the exact makeup of GC (SLX), would not all answers be just speculation and swag??

I'd hold out until I could get some more green elixir or just run something else until more is available.

Contaminating the green elixir, just doesn't seem right.
grin.gif

Come on now, GC and Mobil1 can play nice together, it's a global marketplace out there.
grin.gif

I'm going to try in my wife's car 2l Mobil1 0w30 and 2l GC 0w30 for this winter. Oops I better get on that we have already had 30cm of snow!
shocked.gif

Steve

I want to keep the thick 30w aspect of it. Next change I will be running a 40w, probably Delo or Delvac, maybe T&S 5-40.

It does seem wrong to mix GC with a lesser oil. Would T&S 5-40 do OK in 0+ degree weather (probably more like teens and twenties)? I could run that then wait on the GC.

Nate

I'm not a Subaru guy, but if a 40 wt. is ok and recommended, I would think 5W-40 TSUV would be fine. Pour Point -45C and to be 5W must be 6600@ -30C(-22f). Above 0F, I wouldn't see any problems, especially on a long trip.

That's my nightmare every single time I lay down to bed. I'll hook you up for $0 extra cost, just pay shipping. I bet you cannot wait for an extra week to put the Green Godess into action.

You guys are cool, thanks!

AudiJ, I will check this last store on my way home tonight. If they don't have any, I'll may take you up on that. It just seems wrong to force the GC to commit incest like that!

Thanks again!

Nate

Well, I drove an hour out of my way to get some GC. Luckily they had plenty. I bought enough for 2 changes, and put some in immediately when I got home.

I couldn't resist the urge.
grin.gif

It feels very smooth, like when I put the Startup in. I will probably do a UOA at some point.

fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GreenElixer:
I'm jealous...no GC anywhere for me. Patman already busted my chops for using M1...oh woh with me
frown.gif

This is what's wrong with GC. Availability. And it seems the German stuff is beaing replaced with something that's made in USA and has the same ratings but is really an unknown.

I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I'm hesitant to use the new American version and don't expect it to perform exactly like the German variety does given the track record of US Syntec.

Once we see a few UOA's with it we'll know more. The question is who's going to be the first to run it 8K or 10K miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back