Google Voice Alternative?

JHZR2

Staff member
Ive never been a fan of google stuff, but Im just done. I set up an account for a new endeavor Im trying to start up, and one of the reasons why I did that was because I was interested in getting a GV phone number.

I cannot claim a GV number, no matter what I do. Every time it gives the same error.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 9.17.22 AM.png

Nothing else. For days and days now. There is ZERO support (granted it is a free service), and zero way to understand why. The same generic rationale is pasted all over the GV help section and discussions there... But it doesnt apply.

I am using a NJ based number from a major carrier (have tried three at this point, two cellphones and one landline, all of which verify with Google).
Ive "owned" all three phone numbers for over 15 years, and none have been used for GV before.
The numbers are all within the continental 48 states.
Its a brand new Gmail account, so no reason why it would have violated any terms of service.

So Im just done. Ive had it with wasting time with poor outcomes from google, only to have them want to steal my info (and listen to the calls, which I cannot make).

Whats another alternative to GV? Even if a paid service?

I really just dont want to give out my personal cell #, and like the concept of something like this filtering the calls, and providing a different number as a public front. Surely someone else does this as well, and better...

Do you also have Google Hangouts?

I use Google Voice and so does my wife on our farm. (no cell service only wifi). We both have to have Hangouts and Voice for it to work.

Do you also have Google Hangouts?

I use Google Voice and so does my wife on our farm. (no cell service only wifi). We both have to have Hangouts and Voice for it to work.
I dont really know how you "have" it or not. I can go there and initiate a call.

What I cant do is claim a google voice phone number, though Ive verified three good numbers of my own, all of which meet the credentials...

Hmm, I have google voice, works well.
The numbers that you're trying to port...are they associated with a mobile carrier?

Sorry I just don't know an alternative to GV.

Hmm, I have google voice, works well.
The numbers that you're trying to port...are they associated with a mobile carrier?

Sorry I just don't know an alternative to GV.

Two are ATT cell phones, and my landline is Verizon. Nothing has worked, though Google calls/texts each one and verifies a code, and shows the numbers as linked.

The issue is that it never allows me to claim a GV number.

I dont really know how you "have" it or not. I can go there and initiate a call.

What I cant do is claim a google voice phone number, though Ive verified three good numbers of my own, all of which meet the credentials...
Have GV. I let them pick the numbers. No issues. No Hangout.

Back