Google Home & Smart Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as opposed to Google Home as most folks are for privacy reasons. (Which I get), I couldn't resist setting one up so I could mess around with smart devices like Smart Plugs / Switches / Thermostat etc.

Well then I stumbled across Sonoff which switch 10a of AC current and they are WiFi controllable by the WeLink app or by Google Home / Amazon assistants.

Well now I'm up to 38 devices connected to my GH and it's grand. I even modified one of the Sonoff's to trip a momentary A/C relay on the output so it will trigger my dads garage door opener. "Ok google open the garage door" and Viola.

Best of all the Sonoff boxes can be had for about $5 USD online!!!! Combine this with a Google Home Mini currently on sale for $39 and you can control all sorts of stuff by voice on the cheap! (store.google.com)

41WZIHaWhBL.jpg

Last edited:
Are you not concerned that the "Sonoff" at $5.00 might be a fire hazard? I would be. But I'm a tad leery of anything super cheap switching mains power
smile.gif

I hope you set up the voice detection! I didn't and every time that walmart hey google commercial comes on its adding something to a shopping cart.

I think your getting a system on the cheap that is cheap.

I have a garage opener adapter connected to my Samsung SmartThings hub. It senses the door position and I get notified if it opens when its marked "I am away"

But SAFETY - the garage opener adapter flashes a light for 10 seconds before opening the door or closing the door. So someone in the garage knows the door is about to move. As opposed to out of the blue the door opening or closing.

A lot of the smart home stuff is not Wifi but zwave or zigbee. Zigbee is what most connected light bulbs are. They setup a mesh network as bulbs talk to other bulbs and extend the range.

I will stick with my Samsung SmartThings hub.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Are you not concerned that the "Sonoff" at $5.00 might be a fire hazard? I would be. But I'm a tad leery of anything super cheap switching mains power
smile.gif

They are CE and it uses a proper relay. I destroyed one before I went connecting them to everything. I also overloaded one and it blew a fuseable link inside to protect from fire. Yes made in China and yes very cheap but made properly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I hope you set up the voice detection! I didn't and every time that walmart hey google commercial comes on its adding something to a shopping cart.

I did... We have multiple users in the house.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald

I have a garage opener adapter connected to my Samsung SmartThings hub. It senses the door position and I get notified if it opens when its marked "I am away"

But SAFETY - the garage opener adapter flashes a light for 10 seconds before opening the door or closing the door. So someone in the garage knows the door is about to move. As opposed to out of the blue the door opening or closing.

A lot of the smart home stuff is not Wifi but zwave or zigbee. Zigbee is what most connected light bulbs are. They setup a mesh network as bulbs talk to other bulbs and extend the range.

I'm using one of these modules to trip a relay that trips the door contacts on the button in the garage where it connects to the PCB in the opener. No safety systems have been overridden. It has the "eyes" in place to detect something in the way of the door. I can also tell the door position by the switches it trips inside the opener's circuit board. There are two Sonoff's connected and only one is active at a time thanks to extra relays I installed that disconnects the output on whichever relay isn't needed depending on the door position. So if the door is open/closed you can't ask it to open/close it again sort of thing and it shows me on the We-Link app which switch is active. I.e. if the door is open or closed. Thought of that. No smart hub needed.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I'll never install an "eavesdropping device" in my home.

I do enjoy having a few of these, though:

cq5dam.web.372.372.jpeg

I had an Echo, it's a cool device but I can't really find a use for it. I always have my phone or computer next to me, so I just type in or ask it instead of this goofy thing. And these devices are no more or less of a privacy concern than any other internet connected device in your home that has a mic.

You can do with the Sonoff for $5 USD what you can with a Wemo. You just have to put the plugs on the ends of the Sonoff and use their WeLink app. Otherwise functions the same at a fraction of the cost. I have TP-Link HS-105 plugs and HS-200 switches as well.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had an Echo, it's a cool device but I can't really find a use for it. I always have my phone or computer next to me, so I just type in or ask it instead of this goofy thing. And these devices are no more or less of a privacy concern than any other internet connected device in your home that has a mic.

They can turn the camera and microphone on, on your phone and computer without your knowledge. Just so you know...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Donald

I'm using one of these modules to trip a relay that trips the door contacts on the button in the garage where it connects to the PCB in the opener. No safety systems have been overridden. It has the "eyes" in place to detect something in the way of the door. I can also tell the door position by the switches it trips inside the opener's circuit board. There are two Sonoff's connected and only one is active at a time thanks to extra relays I installed that disconnects the output on whichever relay isn't needed depending on the door position. So if the door is open/closed you can't ask it to open/close it again sort of thing and it shows me on the We-Link app which switch is active. I.e. if the door is open or closed. Thought of that. No smart hub needed.
wink.gif

I am 6 hours away from my remote control garage door. I need it fool proof and reliable. I let people in that maintain my house.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smile.gif

They are CE and it uses a proper relay. I destroyed one before I went connecting them to everything. I also overloaded one and it blew a fuseable link inside to protect from fire. Yes made in China and yes very cheap but made properly.

Yes, but I think those lightbulbs sold at walmart were also CE and still caught fire. Just a concern of mine.

I thought about this, but can't think of a single thing I'd use it for.

I've got a Chamberlain garage door that is connected to WiFi, I use the app all the time to open and close it, and it alerts me when it opens at night and after it's been open for 15 minutes.

Overkill... It's in ABS plastic if that makes you feel better.
lol.gif

Not really, lol

See the video I posted above... He grossly overloads it and the most it does is melt. You could put a fused line on the output so if 10amps is exceeded it opens up to protect the Sonoff but it's not needed IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
See the video I posted above... He grossly overloads it and the most it does is melt. You could put a fused line on the output so if 10amps is exceeded it opens up to protect the Sonoff but it's not needed IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm more concerned about eventual component fatigue and failure causing excessive heat and potentially fire. Not right now, but when it gets some age on it. Those bulbs worked just fine too for quite a while, I had a few. When they got some age on them and internal components started flaking out, that's when they started melting their casings.

I've had cheap automotive relays fail in a similar fashion, a couple of them have failed on (was driving a fan, would not shut off). Hence what should be a reasonably understandable fear of all things cheap and electric, particularly if you've got some decent current running through it.

Think about the phone chargers and phone cables catching fire. And those are not high current applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back