Google Home vs Amazon Alexa - real world review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have had Amazon Alexa (2nd Gen Echo and 3rd Gen Dot) for about a year and just ditched all of it for Google Home (Hub and mini).

We are a two person home and Alexa is just not designed right to accommodate that and the level of frustration trying to get everything linked, the Alexa app, and getting an Amazon household to work correctly is a level of frustration beyond owning a problematic Volkswagen. Even 11 months later we were still messing around with it to try to get routines to work correctly.

I have had a Nest thermostat for ~3.5 years now and have always been a fan so once Google bought out Nest I contemplated the switch, finally today I made the jump. Holy crap I have been missing out for the past 12 months. Took me all of maybe 15 minutes to get both the hub and mini setup, get all my other smart devices (Hue bulbs, Kasa plugs and Nest) connected, another 5 to get my routines setup and its working perfectly. Much more intuitive than Alexa.

Only downside is despite Google now owning Nest the integration seems to still be in the works, routines only supports a temperature change but does not appear to support Eco or Away mode on the Nest.

If you are on the fence on which one the Google is so much less frustrating if you are more than one person in your household. I think saying Alexa is as frustrating as a problematic Volkswagen is giving it too much credit. I am so glad I stopped at the Echo and Dot and did not pour any more $$ into the Amazon smart home business.

I have 5 Alexa devices-they do what I need to do. But I'm not interested in them turning lights On/off etc. I have a Honeywell smart thermostat that was like $50.00 but I can control it through an app on my phone.

I'm also not interested in anything the privacy religion freaks on BITOG have to say about these devices.

Glad you are enjoying the new tech that's out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
I have 5 Alexa devices-they do what I need to do. But I'm not interested in them turning lights On/off etc. I have a Honeywell smart thermostat that was like $50.00 but I can control it through an app on my phone.

I'm also not interested in anything the privacy religion freaks on BITOG have to say about these devices.

Glad you are enjoying the new tech that's out there.

Controlling lights was a game changer for me especially now using routines that actually work. Saying "I'm leaving" will shut off the entire house including the water cooler, saying "goodnight" will turn off my TV, living room lights and the water cooler and turn my bedroom lights on.

For privacy folks the Google has something Alexa does not - has a physical mute switch which kills the microphone. Seems to defeat the entire purpose of the device but its there. I'm in the camp that if someone in a call center wants to listen to my personal life so be it, hope I can provide them some entertainment.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by pezzy669
For privacy folks the Google has something Alexa does not - has a physical mute switch which kills the microphone.

My Alexa device has a physical mic mute button.

I have a Samsung SmartThings home and it does all my home automation on its own without me speaking. I would think that is what a lot of people want. But maybe not.

I think my Pixel 3 in a Google cradle is a Google Home.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
As a smartphone user, I should know better-but all of these should come with a copy of George Orwell's 1984. Tinfoil hat engaged!
27.gif

Perhaps you need to spend some time in Room 101 to adjust your attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back