Goodyear Assurance vs Conti Purecontacts ?

Looking at new tires for my wife's '14 Fusion (235/50-17) and have seemed to narrow it down to Goodyear Assurance Maxlife and Conti PureContact LS. Discount Tire has them for the same price, $145/ea, but the Goodyear does have a $50 rebate and $75 rebate (mail-in, says they can be combined). At TireRack, the user ratings are real good for both though the Conti's do have a couple tenths higher in a few categories. Dry performance and winter performance are effectively the same while the Goodyear has a 6/10ths higher rating on treadwear. The Conti's are rated for 70k miles vs 85k for the Goodyears and to be honest, that puts the Continentals at 5 years and I'm good with that.

We do get snow but IMO, not enough to deal with "winter" tires. I don't know anyone who switches to winter tires, for what it's worth... Wet traction and noise are things I'm mostly looking for and based on TireRack's ratings, the Continentals are "better" in wet (comfort is a tenth different).

The difference in cost, with the rebates on the Goodyears, keeps bringing me back to consider those though.... Without those, I'd probably get the PureContacts without hesitation.

So factoring in people's experience with either of these tires and the (up to $125 savings), which would people lean towards. I know to some folks $125 isn't even a factor but to some of us, be it thrifty, on a budget, etc, it does count to some...

For reference, the car currently has BFG g-Force Comp 2 all-season tires. These were installed by the dealer that we bought it from and they have 30k+ miles on them currently. They're rated for 45k but their snow performance has never been reassuring and the noise from them is horrible. The tires do look great 😁 and their dry performance is pretty nice, considering they're on a 4-door sedan.

I have the Goodyears, horrible in wet weather, just horrible. My last set for them, two sets and lucky to get 30,000 out of them.

Looking at new tires for my wife's '14 Fusion (235/50-17) and have seemed to narrow it down to Goodyear Assurance Maxlife and Conti PureContact LS. Discount Tire has them for the same price, $145/ea, but the Goodyear does have a $50 rebate and $75 rebate (mail-in, says they can be combined). At TireRack, the user ratings are real good for both though the Conti's do have a couple tenths higher in a few categories. Dry performance and winter performance are effectively the same while the Goodyear has a 6/10ths higher rating on treadwear. The Conti's are rated for 70k miles vs 85k for the Goodyears and to be honest, that puts the Continentals at 5 years and I'm good with that.

We do get snow but IMO, not enough to deal with "winter" tires. I don't know anyone who switches to winter tires, for what it's worth... Wet traction and noise are things I'm mostly looking for and based on TireRack's ratings, the Continentals are "better" in wet (comfort is a tenth different).

The difference in cost, with the rebates on the Goodyears, keeps bringing me back to consider those though.... Without those, I'd probably get the PureContacts without hesitation.

So factoring in people's experience with either of these tires and the (up to $125 savings), which would people lean towards. I know to some folks $125 isn't even a factor but to some of us, be it thrifty, on a budget, etc, it does count to some...
Had both on a Cruze … 40k on the GY and 32k on the Conti …
The Assurance that came on the 2017 Mustang went 52k …
Our Fusion has a DT generic that Toyo makes … last set went 40k

I have the Assurance Maxlife on a 2011 Fusion SE and they're doing just fine. No complaints, they do everything that I need them to do, and the treadwear so far indicates that 60,000 miles will be easily accomplished.

I had the Pure contacts on my 2013 Fusion when I owned it and really liked them.
The only negative I can think of was that they have slightly soft sidewalls so they would get flat spots easily if the vehicle wasn't driven daily.

I had a set of Conti PureContacts on a car before I sold it. No complaints. They were smooth handling and quiet. They were very good in wet weather and provided confident braking. Solid choice.

I have PureContact LS on my TourX and I also had them on my Cruze before I traded it. They are probably the quietest tires available. They seem to do everything well. A friend of mine also has them and they love them. They seem to wear like iron too. Way better then the original PureContacts. Both sets I've bought were made in the USA too.

I have them on my 17 Subaru and had a few sets on my 08 BMW. They did everything well in my Northeast climate. Only wish is I'd like longer treadlife but I'd say that for just about every tire.

My mothers van had/has Goodyear Assurance tires on it, two of the tires had a 2015 manufacture date and just shy of 4 years old one of the many sidewall cracks started leaking air. This was not damage to the tire, just age cracking. Vehicle was not garaged.

We had a set of Michelin Harmonys on our van which also developed similar cracks with age however we never has a leak from any of them.

Her van still has two Goodyear Assurances on it which now have the same cracking on them, however no leaks. They are due to be replaced.

Yokohamas replaced the good years and so far they seem like a better tire.

Last edited:
I'd go for the Continental's
This: Conti's are V speed rated and A Traction/A Temperature and rated for 70k miles. Goodyear is H speed rated and A Traction/B Temperature and have a 85k mile rating. The Conti is a better constructed tire IMO and will more closely match the BFG's you have been using.

Just had all 4 tires changed to Continental a few months back. What a difference, I have to travel thru a mountain pass every now and then and it seems like the car don’t even notice any snow around. Also got a $70 rebate via discount tire so can’t complain

Only rebate offer on the Continentals was if I got a Discount Tire credit card, then they'd give me 10%.
Seems like it's expired by now

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.37.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.37.46 AM.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 16
Back