Goodbye RAM EcoDiesel

Could a Grand Cherokee handle the Cummins? It weighs almost 1100 lbs, twice as much as the Hemis. I like the idea of it, but wonder if the GC is stout enough to handle it. Maybe a modern Ramcharger based on the truck chassis.
Not just the weight but the shear size of a ISB Cummins, It barely fits in a fullsize pick-up.

Could a Grand Cherokee handle the Cummins? It weighs almost 1100 lbs, twice as much as the Hemis. I like the idea of it, but wonder if the GC is stout enough to handle it. Maybe a modern Ramcharger based on the truck chassis.
Nope. The 5.7/6.4/6.2 is already pretty crammed in there width wise, and there definitely isn’t enough room length wise without punching out the firewall or otherwise changing the entire front of the vehicle.

B358C12F-7F27-474C-A140-63A40578AA3E.jpeg

"The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x2 scored 32 mpg highway and 29 mpg highway for 4x4 models. Ram EcoDiesel’s range exceeded 1,000 miles per fill-up, the highest among all pickup trucks."

Pretty impressive and when fuel prices are high, they pull the plug? Real smart.
Diesel is expensive fuel, around $5/gallon currently while regular is $3.50/gallon.

The cost of fuel coupled to excess cost of diesel option and poor repair record you never make up price.

We had a 2015 Grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel. 120k trouble free miles... until we had to reflash the ECU due to the legal settlement with FCA/EPA. Then all kinds of problems so we traded it in. We were early to change the oil over to 5W40 syn from 5W30 syn euro spec. Maybe that helped internals... And Power Service additives every other tank. Great mpg. I guess we got the only good one.

Wouldn't be too hard to make a 4 cylinder version for the Jeep.
They could have just as easily made the V-6 reliable, and charged a few bucks more for it. But instead they cheapened it up, and in the process turned the thing into a self destructive piece of crap. With the resale value of a rusty Yugo, and the desirability of Joy Behar in a G-string.

They could have just as easily made the V-6 reliable, and charged a few bucks more for it. But instead they cheapened it up, and in the process turned the thing into a self destructive piece of crap. With the resale value of a rusty Yugo, and the desirability of Joy Behar in a G-string.
What about the engine is cheap? There are plenty of examples online with over 150,000 miles,

That is where I think the problem would lie. Not so much the weight, but the fact the Cummins is so long, being an inline 6.
Maybe the new Wagoneer would be a better choice. Those don't seem to have much truck in them though, just fancy people mover.

Are you making this stuff up? The factory warranty is longer than that. Have some examples?
What difference does it make if it's warrantied or not? Does it make the engine any less crappy? As I said, go on any of the Jeep forums and punch in, "Eco Diesel problems". You'll get plenty of high dollar examples. This engines never ending problems are not some big mystery.

It's less prevalent than GM's AFM lifter failures, so there's that. It's fundamentally a supplier problem, not a problem with the engine.

I don't know why Dodge and GM remaind with this (these) supplier(s) for so many years instead of cutting their losses.

Back