Goodbye GM & Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm

I just received a check from the Dexcool class action Settlement for $400. This covered nearly 2/3's of the repair. I was pretty happy to get it. My Buick is one of (if not THE) best cars I've owned and at 104K its running like new. I really believe the I/M gasket design (4 bolts where there should be 8 or 10 and plastic where there should be metal) is the problem rather than the Dexcool.

But if Dexcool softens plastic, then IT IS the problem.

That's like saying the solid rocket booster on the Space Shuttle was a great design - save for that faulty O-Ring that led made it blow up!

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Is the problem unique to Dexcool or to all extended-life coolants?

Any antifreeze that is extended life and not Peak Global or GO5 is essentially Dexcool.

The Dexcool/Dexclones seem to work just fine in engines and cooling systems that are in very good shape, but plastic gaskets or any kind of leaks, and some will end up with the Dexmud.

CCI (the Japanese coolant company) makes extended life coolants (e.g., Mazda Genuine Long Life Coolant [FL-22], Toyota Super Long Life Coolant) that do not remotely resemble DexCool. CCI coolants do not contain any 2-ethylhexanoic acid or silicates, but they do contain phosphates. Unfortunately, CCI coolants are only available as factory OEM products, typically at inflated prices. What I would like to know is what if any relationship Peak Global coolant has with CCI coolants. I am not yet convinced that any aftermarket coolants are roughly equivalent to CCI OEM coolants.

Originally Posted By: 04grandprix
Im sorry to inform you RClint that there was a huge settlement on a class action lawsuit in October 2008 that was for people who had a GM vehichle that had Dex Cool coolant and needed to get their automobiles fixed.

I personally love my Pontiac since it is the 1st car I ever bought new. It now has 106000 on it and I noticed the other day that after about 50k miles of service, the overflow tank is all gunked up again. I had the system flushed when the car only had about 40k on it.

Thankfully no other issues with the car I own but this is just another reason why GM needs to go. Add to that their refusal to get the most mpgs in their automobiles that they could and making cars that no one really wants, it all adds up in the end to a company who is burning through cash like crazy and is just a bottomless pit.

My next car will be a Ford again but their again, I just dont really see anything in their lineup except the explorer that I like and with gas last year going for over 4$ a gallon, I am scared to get anything that big ever.

My '00 cavalier I have to have flushed after two years since I bought green by accident (Peak had an orangish cap on the bottle and I was dumb and didn't look at the label.) But I agree. I was raised on GM mainly, but someday want to go back to ford (car before '00 was a '93 tempo and all it had was an alternator replacement). Our'03 impala has lame braking issues again, as well as a oil leak I can't chase down as yet.
mad.gif
The only thing GM did right in my opinion was making most of their engines take the same oil filter (PF47).
wink.gif
I've already used two of the 12 I ordered from Fleetfilter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm

My Buick is one of (if not THE) best cars I've owned and at 104K its running like new. I really believe the I/M gasket design (4 bolts where there should be 8 or 10 and plastic where there should be metal) is the problem rather than the Dexcool.

I'm assuming you've got a 3800 since you mentioned the plastic intake, but I had a 1997 Monte Carlo with the 3100 engine and the all aluminum upper intake. The intake gaskets failed on the engine twice in 194K miles. Both times when the intake was removed (once by a mechanic, once by yours truly) the bolts holding the LIM onto the engine were loose (as in 0 torque) and could be removed by hand. It was certainly a case of an imperfect design. In no way were those gasket failures the fault of Dexcool.

I think that Dexcool is a 100% fine product given proper servicing and change interval. I do think that 100K/5 years is too long, and now typically change coolant somewhere between 1-3 years. The '97 Monte didn't get its first change for 6 years, FWIW.

My experience is that Dex Cool is fine for all aluminum engines- I put some into a Ford Duratech and it was pristine up to 130000 miles. The coolant reservoir was as clean as new.

But in my Grand Prix with the aluminum heads and iron block, rusty gunk all over the place. I suspect that whatever process it uses to protect the aluminum also eats iron.

Hi

OAT coolant doesn't "eat iron", rather when the coolant level is low...exposed iron rusts...and then when a wave of coolant returns..it washes the rust away to be deposited elsewhere as "mud" or "gunk"

This is why I only use silicated coolants as there is always a secondary level of protection in the silicates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back