Good quality oil for fuel dilution?

The only thing 20W-50 will do is increase bearing heat with no benefit. With higher viscosity oil comes higher hydrodynamic friction and higher specific heat capacity meaning the oil will tend to run hotter and is more difficult to cool down. Higher viscosity also reduces additive response and solvency and increases the rate of air entrainment making it more prone to aeration. The 5W-40 is already overkill on viscosity and trending the wrong direction in terms of VII content, especially with Super Tech that uses OCP for VII.

The only thing 20W-50 will do is increase bearing heat with no benefit. With higher viscosity oil comes higher hydrodynamic friction and higher specific heat capacity meaning the oil will tend to run hotter and is more difficult to cool down. Higher viscosity also reduces additive response and solvency and increases the rate of air entrainment making it more prone to aeration. The 5W-40 is already overkill on viscosity and trending the wrong direction in terms of VII content, especially with Super Tech that uses OCP for VII.
Ok
So I wouldn't fill with 20w-50.
Just drain and add 1-2 quarts after 3k kms.
When my current 5w-30 is sheared down to a 0w-20

Ok
My HS friend just texted me, his wife's Sante Fe 2.0T just blew up on the way to Vermont. He is in a Durango rental now.
Just ten days off warranty. Just run the 5w30. Blow it up under warranty and get a new motor. Rinse and repeat.
you get 10Y/ 100k km in Canada?

... Oh just read it's 5yr.

In the U.S. it's 10yr/160k km

Last edited:
Ok
My vehicles that dilute also seem to consume oil after about 1500 miles albeit slowly.

I add heavier weight makeup oil.
A little 20w50 synthetic make up oil 1/2qt seems to stop my truck from burning its 5w30 OEM fill, I guess it’s like adding motor honey. In the winter I add a little 10w40 make up oil instead, just had some 20w50 laying around and gave it a try

My HS friend just texted me, his wife's Sante Fe 2.0T just blew up on the way to Vermont. He is in a Durango rental now.
Just ten days off warranty. Just run the 5w30. Blow it up under warranty and get a new motor. Rinse and repeat.
you get 10Y/ 100Km in Canada?

... Oh just read it's 5yr.

In the U.S. it's 10yr/160Km
Ya we get a lame 5 year 100k kms warranty

Back