Good quality oil for fuel dilution?

I just did an oil change this weekend on our '22 Highlander. First oil change after a winter of driving about 7500KM. The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum smelled almost like pure gas. It was short tripped and idled through those cold 7500KM. The real kicker was when I drained the used oil back into the 5L jug, I couldn't fit it all back in. Last year I did two oil changes in the warmer weather and was able to fit the 5.5L sump capacity back into the empty 5L jug. There was probably around a cup or slightly more that wouldn't fit into the jug. Probably over 5% fuel dilution.

Once an oil has had fuel in it, I don't think the smell really goes away. I've seen UOA posted and posters claim that even though the oil smelled a lot like fuel, the UOA came back with minimal fuel in oil. These are reports that used establishments other than Blackstone. Taking it out for a nice long weekly one hour drive on the 401 should in theory burn off most of fuel in the oil. Though that method does nothing for the already trashed oil.

Solutions:

1) It's pretty difficult to alter the driving habits. Short tripping isn't ideal especially in cold weather. Altering driving habits by what may be a 15 minute round trip and extending that trip by 30-45 minutes isn't really practical.

2) Use a premium oil like HPL No Vii. This is cost prohibitive. Getting 5 gallons of it into Canada gets into the $400 Canadian range. It still doesn't get rid of the fuel but will help with viscosity break down. Jury is out on this solution. Still would need to change out the oil more frequently (see Solution 3). Unless, taking it out on a weekly one hour plus long drive burns off most of the fuel. This theory would need to be tested and backed up with a proper UOA. If it really solved the issue, the HPL could be run for a year and just do yearly oil changes, making it a little less cost prohibitive.

3) Change the oil more frequently. Use a less expensive oil. Kirkland can be bought at Costco for around $27/4.73L. That's about the least expensive API SP oil I can find. The draw back to this is having to do a change somewhere around January/February which is unfortunately the coldest months of the year. Ottawa is even colder than SW Ontario. Could take it in somewhere to have that change done, just cost more money and I am always suspect of the tech doing the work messing something up.

4) Get an electric car. I've balked at this idea in the past. With people shifting to working from home and Amazon, Walmart and almost every grocery store having home delivery, it may just be the best solution.

I never thought I would ask this- - -whats the best question, yet here we are.
Anyway - we do a lot of short trip driving in our 19 Santa Fe 2.0t. Even in the summer months we get noticable fuel dilution. The 5w-30 syn Seems to shear down very quickly. I notice this when I can hear the timing chain tensioner clacking on start up. It never does this at the start of the OCI - Usually starts to shear down 2.5k kms.

I have tried taking it on long drives -45+ min freeway drives. This does little to nothing for fuel smell and the thinning issue.

Anyway - - - does anyone know any good 5w-30's out there that can handle fuel a bit better?

I am thinking of trying a 5w-40 to see how far it will go. But for this I would like to know if there are any 30's out there?

Thanks
You could try a more cost effective 10w40 like Castrol GTX and change it more often, since 5W cold start performance is not required in Ottawa for 6 months. API SP ain't your great grandma's 10w40.

You could try a more cost effective 10w40 like Castrol GTX and change it more often, since 5W cold start performance is not required in Ottawa for 6 months. API SP ain't your great grandma's 10w40.
10w-40 is a unicorn here in Ottawa.
10 years ago I used to drive across to Ogdensburg and grab tons of the Maxlife 10w-40 for an oil drinking Audi we once owned.

Great suggestion - I would totally use it if I could find it:)

10w-40 is a unicorn here in Ottawa.
10 years ago I used to drive across to Ogdensburg and grab tons of the Maxlife 10w-40 for an oil drinking Audi we once owned.

Great suggestion - I would totally use it if I could find it:)
It's on sale this week at Cambodian Tire.

Your Highlander isn't under warranty still? I think I'd have the dealer look at it. Being only one year old I'd be concerned.

I have HPL 0w20 oil in our diluter now. About 500 mi so far on this oci. Starting out looking good as the oil has still not turned the dark color most have done very quickly - even Amsoil and Mobil. One thing I notice. The motor sounds like a type writter today. Wonder what could be the cause. Oil level is perfect and has not moved and there is not even any fuel smell yet like most times.

Star polymers are more resistant to shear and thus the viscosity loss is less amplified, but it's still subject to the same degradation. There's also the fact that brands that pitch for star polymers also tend to use better quality base oils that need less VII and thus less effect.
This. I've seen it in my Sportwagen running HPL 5W40.

You can't overcome the fact you are mixing a lower viscosity fluid with the oil and the viscosity will drop. The only way to deal with it is starting with a higher viscosity oil. Having some fuel and viscosity drop in and of itself isn't an issue.

I have HPL 0w20 oil in our diluter now. About 500 mi so far on this oci. Starting out looking good as the oil has still not turned the dark color most have done very quickly - even Amsoil and Mobil. One thing I notice. The motor sounds like a type writter today. Wonder what could be the cause. Oil level is perfect and has not moved and there is not even any fuel smell yet like most times.
0W20 oil in the " Deep South" in a fuel diluter? Sammy!

Maybe look for Stephen King in you back set 😧

I have had new oil get noisy when it starts to clean, maybe give it the gun and the crop pretty good a few times, then let her cool down and put her away. Then then next day out, she may not be lame.
OTW get a low efficiency (media) filter on it - if its a small filter and not a big cartridge.

0W20 oil in the " Deep South" in a fuel diluter? Sammy!

Maybe look for Stephen King in you back set 😧

I have had new oil get noisy when it starts to clean,
maybe give it the gun and the crop pretty good a few times, then let her cool down and put her away. Then then next day out, she may not be lame.
OTW get a low efficiency (media) filter on it - if its a small filter and not a big cartridge.
I know. 0w20 seems to belong in the frozen tundra. I been slippin big time since I passed the "66" mark this year. Just like the other day when wife's car battery died. That is the first time in memory I did not notice the different sound starting and replace just before failure.
Grandkids were here weekend and its Thursday and I am still trying to recover! OMG. Slap wore out! Tooo much "paw paw come on! lets go play!"

Who told him Mr King! Ugh, to pick our car!:oops:

Actually was thinking this stuff (HPL) is doing its job, and I am going to pull the filter early to check it out.
10w30 full synthetic makes a big difference in my identical situation, don’t even need x-40 to make a difference
Been thinking to bump up to a 30w this summer. It is super hot already....

I went with a 5w-40 Super Tech.
Throwing it in tonight after work.

Going to observe - - -- thanks for all the input y'all
Lucky you get that up there! Not so much in the U.S....but we do have for a few bucks more Quaker State Euro 5W40.

Back