Good Press for people seeking 40MPG+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Loc: Illinois
It doesn't even rise to excuse. It's a non-sequitur.

How good or bad your life is, or how good or bad someone else judges your life to be is immaterial. It's the same sort of justification abusive people use. Blame someone else for their personal behavior or judgments.

I.E. if only their life were as good as mine, they wouldn't drive slow, I wouldn't have to hate them.

Are we really that judgmental and selfish today?

X2!

Society is very selfish these days.

I do 60 - 65 on the way to work in the morning (80% highway). Every so often, I'll see someone fly by on the left doing 80 - 85 (estimating) down the highway. That same person will get caught at lights and traffic...eventually I catch up to them and sometimes pass them.

What's the hurry? All that speed and risking a ticket but you still did not reach your destination any faster than I.

That's if they get stuck in traffic (which many of us do) however, half the time, i'll be the one that makes the yellow light with the slow poke hitting the brakes, idling at the light and then burning more fuel accelerating again. (i on the other hand would have already pulled into the garage at my destination.) <-- this happens to me a good 60-70% of the time. (will pass a slow poke on the highway and make the green light at the off ramp, where as everyone behind me would catch the RED LIGHT. 2 mins there, 30 seconds there and it adds up to spending HOURS LESS on the road.)

So you don't improve your odds if you only make it through the light 1/2 the time.

You could drive slower and get better fuel economy and make it through the other 1/2 the time at the slower rate.

Furthermore, unless you are running some serious boost, you probably didn't modify the tC enough to get massive wheel spin.

I had a Ford Contour SVT, and added 8 pounds of boost from a T28 turbo, or about 100 more HP at the front wheels. I had no problems getting the power down.

So I seriously doubt an experienced driver would have trouble putting the power down with your tC.
Originally Posted By: Artem
That's if they get stuck in traffic (which many of us do) however, half the time, i'll be the one that makes the yellow light with the slow poke hitting the brakes, idling at the light and then burning more fuel accelerating again. (i on the other hand would have already pulled into the garage at my destination.) div>

My Saturn SL1 could get better MPG than all of them and it only cost me $2k to buy!!!!!!!!

Saturn FTW. Still!!
banana2.gif

Buddy, the car is modified (which = more power, which = higher tendency for wheel spin)

I'm not launching from a stand still, like im in a drag race. It has short gearing and a decent amount of torque, which as mentioned before, with no LSD and puny tires = wheel spin with a regular, normal take off and then go WOT.

It spins in 2nd and 3rd gear on wet roads @ 45mph+. It's just the nature of the beast.

There's no reason to throw out insulting age comments. For all you know I'm a retired war vet and could have $10,000 worth of upgrades in the car, making 2-3x the stock HP rating.
thumbsup2.gif

If you're spinning your tires at 45 mph with a Scion you need new tires.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
IIRC, the government lowered the national speed limit in the 70s druing the oil embargo. Reason: Increase fuel efficienty. It is a well known fact about optimal fuel economy at certain speed ranges. Go too fast and you lose MPG's. Down here the limits 70MPH in a lot of places, I think thats too fast for a variety of reasons, and it sure dosent help fuel efficiency.

During the 70s? The 55 limit stayed until 86 or 87. I remember, because when I first started driving in the mid-80s, the speed limit was still 55.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I have to use wider tires to keep the wheels from spinning off the line (FWD + no LSD = sucks!)

sounds like an excuse an 18yo would give his Dad.

seriously, if you can't take off in a scion w/o spinning the tires you need to go take some driving lessons.

Buddy, the car is modified (which = more power, which = higher tendency for wheel spin)

I'm not launching from a stand still, like im in a drag race. It has short gearing and a decent amount of torque, which as mentioned before, with no LSD and puny tires = wheel spin with a regular, normal take off and then go WOT.

It spins in 2nd and 3rd gear on wet roads @ 45mph+. It's just the nature of the beast.

There's no reason to throw out insulting age comments. For all you know I'm a retired war vet and could have $10,000 worth of upgrades in the car, making 2-3x the stock HP rating.
thumbsup2.gif

your lame response supports my contention. if what you said was true, then there would be cars breaking traction all over the place (as if you're the only person w/ a 'modified' FWD car)
my car also is geared short (mazda5 5 speed, no LSD or traction control) w/ small tires (205/50 17) and a good amount of torque and I have no problem starting off w/o tire slippage.
bragging about a 'modified' scion that can't get traction does make you sound LIKE an 18yo (notice I didn't say you ARE an 18yo, you just SOUND like one)that doesn't know how to drive.

Originally Posted By: cchase

thumbsup2.gif

If you're spinning your tires at 45 mph with a Scion you need new tires.

It has Fresh Toyo all season tires on.

Last night it spun @ 60mph on the highway when i downshifted into 4th gear AND THEN went WOT and had to let off because it was skidding into another lane. (it had just finished raining about 20-30 mins ago, so the road was moist.)

I have to use wider tires to keep the wheels from spinning off the line (FWD + no LSD = sucks!)

sounds like an excuse an 18yo would give his Dad.

seriously, if you can't take off in a scion w/o spinning the tires you need to go take some driving lessons.

thumbsup2.gif

your lame response supports my contention. if what you said was true, then there would be cars breaking traction all over the place (as if you're the only person w/ a 'modified' FWD car)
my car also is geared short (mazda5 5 speed, no LSD or traction control) w/ small tires (205/50 17) and a good amount of torque and I have no problem starting off w/o tire slippage.
bragging about a 'modified' scion that can't get traction does make you sound LIKE an 18yo (notice I didn't say you ARE an 18yo, you just SOUND like one)that doesn't know how to drive.

The slightest bit of moisture on the ground results in me easily spinning the tires (225/45/17) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear by simply mashing the gas pedal to the floor once i'm already in gear.
This isn't happening @ 2,000rpm @ part throttle. This is during acceleration @ high RPM when i'm already gaining speed and then lose traction when torque is at it's highest. Why is it so hard to understand?

You obviously don't know too much about FWD cars because they ALL have traction issues, with or without LSD. My 07 Civic Si has traction issues when it was stock (Traction control disabled) and it was a nightmare once it was modified.) Driving it aggressively with VSA on resulted in the system applying the brakes to keep the tires from spinning, which was slowing the car down, so i had VSA OFF every time i was "in the mood"

Any factory FWD car with a turbo will have nothing but torque steer and wheel spin. You don't know what you're talking about and so this conversation is over...

I'll argue the last bit. My cruze will definitely spin the tires from a stop if I let it, but there is zero torque steer. My mom's AWD Equinox V6 however, I can make that thing spin the front wheels at 40mph by flooring it, once it hits the torque band at 4,500RPM, there's definitely spinnage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
70 is pretty fast, but lots of people don't equate MPG w/ MPH.
I've done road trips in states w/ 70mph (WV, AL, MS) and it's a bit above the 'sweet spot' for my car. my Mazda5 is geared pretty low, and the RPM's are real high at those speeds, MPG's drop way off.

The sweet spot for my 03' Focus....is between 55 and 60. I get between 36 and 38 if I keep those speeds.

In California.... those speeds are not practical on the Intersates (I-5)....and freeways. Everyone seems to be going 75 to 80 and more.

Here in Oregon....the speed limit is pretty well kept by the general public. IMO...people here are a little more law abiding.

I lived in Bend for 14 months; all of 2009 and most of 2010, and the reason Oregonians are "more abiding" to the traffic laws is because your cops are like sharks, and you drive there in a police state. I'm from California, and I have never seen such massively aggressive policing anywhere in California in all my 51 years of life.

Your cops there will hound the public even going 1 MPH over and it seems there are hidden cops with radar every other corner in OR. It seems OR cops are on some sort of quota system...sad, because I love Oregon.

So the main reason Oregonians are "more abiding" drivers is because the cops there has everyone scared and paranoid.

Last edited:
My 2007 Toyota Yaris HB EPA's at 39 MPG. When I drive it at the speed limit, I can easily get 42. On a drive from California to New Mexica one night, I got 46 MPG.

My car has a 1500 CC, 4 speed auto, and variable valve timing on the input valves only.

I currently have 132,000 miles, and I have spent 0 on repairs. On the 2nd set of tires, 2nd battery, ORIGINAL FACTORY BRAKES, only preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'll argue the last bit. My cruze will definitely spin the tires from a stop if I let it, but there is zero torque steer. My mom's AWD Equinox V6 however, I can make that thing spin the front wheels at 40mph by flooring it, once it hits the torque band at 4,500RPM, there's definitely spinnage.

Agreed, no torque steer. My Cruze has very aggressive ratios for gears 1-3 as part of the Eco package. It'll easily spin the drive wheels from a stop if I dump the clutch at 2000 RPM. If it's wet out, it'll spin 'em through gears 1 and 2 when my foot is mashed to the floor even in spite of the traction control. Zero torque steer, however.

It's easy to not spin the tires. Drive sanely and don't force the car to spin. It's harder on the car since when traction is regained there's a lot of shock transmitted through the transmission. That's not good for the differential, or the suspension bushings that have to compensate for a sudden load.

Any factory FWD car with a turbo will have nothing but torque steer and wheel spin. You don't know what you're talking about and so this conversation is over...

Nothing but wheel spin....and then I got good tires.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm fairly certain my factory turbo FWD car makes just a little more torque than a Cruze Eco.
lol.gif
Only about 90% of it's 245 ft-lbs of torque is availiable at 2300 rpm soooooo...just a little.

Torque steer is present, but nowhere near what you imply with, "nothing but torque steer and wheel spin".

Torque steer is a problem on the Mazdaspeed3. The Mazda6S 3.7 makes similar horsepower and torque numbers but has virtually no real noticeable torque steer. So chassis tuning, size, and weight are also factors.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
My 2007 Toyota Yaris HB EPA's at 39 MPG. When I drive it at the speed limit, I can easily get 42. On a drive from California to New Mexica one night, I got 46 MPG.

But can you spin the front tires?

Isn't that what matters in FWD econo cars?

You obviously don't know too much about FWD cars because they ALL have traction issues, with or without LSD. My 07 Civic Si has traction issues when it was stock (Traction control disabled) and it was a nightmare once it was modified.) Driving it aggressively with VSA on resulted in the system applying the brakes to keep the tires from spinning, which was slowing the car down, so i had VSA OFF every time i was "in the mood"

you are obviously more skilled than I, since I thought only an idiot whould go WOT on wet pavement...
and you can't say the convo is over, I wasn't done basking in your awesomeness yet.

Go drive a third generation Acura TL, and then you'll know what torque steer is. That was an experience to say the least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back