Good Press for people seeking 40MPG+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its also about acceleration.

I've heard of a lot of guys getting "better MPGs" with their v-8 SUV than the v-6 (all other factors being equal make/ model)

Why? Because the guy in the V-6 is stomping on it, to get it up to speed and in between lights.

My girlfriend drives like a bat out of [censored] in her VERY efficient civic. I can consistently bet better MPGs in my BMW 325i (going by the factory fuel avg computer)

The right foot is a big factor here.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I have to use wider tires to keep the wheels from spinning off the line (FWD + no LSD = sucks!)

sounds like an excuse an 18yo would give his Dad.

seriously, if you can't take off in a scion w/o spinning the tires you need to go take some driving lessons.

Why hate. If they are in the right hand lane ont he freeway, just pass them.

If they are on a two lane, it's no different than being behind a grain truck, etc.

As long as they are going above the min and keepign right, why be a hater?

Weird how there's a 4mpg difference between the Civic LX and the loaded Civic EX
confused.gif
I have a 2007 Civic EX Auto and barely break the 40mpg barrier on highway trips but then again, i'm not doing 65mph in a 70mph zone
33.gif

I think this test is bogus because they are testing for MPGs in an unrealistic way.

I hate the tree huggers which go -10mph UNDER the speed limit in their little hybrid or some other bucket, trying to get good gas mileage.

I swear, if the government decides to lower the speed limit on the highway, because it will result in better MPGs nation wide, i'm going to lose it!
mad.gif

Weird how there's a 4mpg difference between the Civic LX and the loaded Civic EX
confused.gif
I have a 2007 Civic EX Auto and barely break the 40mpg barrier on highway trips but then again, i'm not doing 65mph in a 70mph zone
33.gif

I think this test is bogus because they are testing for MPGs in an unrealistic way.

I hate the tree huggers which go -10mph UNDER the speed limit in their little hybrid or some other bucket, trying to get good gas mileage.

I swear, if the government decides to lower the speed limit on the highway, because it will result in better MPGs nation wide, i'm going to lose it!
mad.gif

What's your hurry?

Going the speed limit on a 2 lane is apparently too slow for some people. I've had people ride my tail the whole time I've been doing 60 down a 2-lane road that is marginal for its 55 mph speed limit in places. Most traffic also does 55-60 on this road and no faster due to its sharp curves and limited sightlines. Take that car to Watkins Glen, not harry me on my commute.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Going the speed limit on a 2 lane is apparently too slow for some people. I've had people ride my tail the whole time I've been doing 60 down a 2-lane road that is marginal for its 55 mph speed limit in places. Most traffic also does 55-60 on this road and no faster due to its sharp curves and limited sightlines. Take that car to Watkins Glen, not harry me on my commute.

I just don't know why people think they always need to drive 10-20 MPH over the limit. I guess they just can't feel right if they're not getting away with something...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I just don't know why people think they always need to drive 10-20 MPH over the limit. I guess they just can't feel right if they're not getting away with something...

01.gif

Poor planning/running late on their part does not make an emergency on my part.

Maybe those people who are driving faster just happen to really like where they are going to, and want to get there quicker, so that they can enjoy themselves for a longer period of time.

I know that if I was leaving work at the end of the day on Friday, heading home to pick up my GF, and then we were heading over to the Pepsi Center to watch a hockey game, or a concert, I would be more likely to go a bit faster than someone who was leaving work, and going home to their abusive spouse and ungrateful kids, and the dog that pees on the carpet because of a brain tumor pressing on their skull causing them incontinence issues.

So I want to get were I'm going faster because fun is involved, while the other person wants to go slower because their life is going to be more miserable than it was while at work.

Maybe you people have no problems driving the speed limit and below because your lives aren't that great where you are headed to on that particular occasion?

BC.

It doesn't really matter how great you or anyone else things their life or someone else's life is.

If someone is within the bounds of the law on a public road, then no judgment of how miserable you think their life may be warrants trying to cajole them into speeding up.

If someone tailgates me because they are not happy that I'm at the speed limit, I may slow down. Not to tick them off, but to increase my safety.

If I'm behind another car, and someone is tailgating me, now I have to protect against a sudden stop by the car in front of me. Since I have no control over what they do, the only option left for me to increase the distance between me and the car in front of me is to slow down.

I don't mean a brake check. But I do mean getting off the throttle until I've increased my following distance from two seconds to a safer four to six seconds.

That also gives the car behind me a place to pull into if they decide to pass.

Don't assume the car you are tailgating is slowing down to tick you off. They may be acting in the interests of safety.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Maybe those people who are driving faster just happen to really like where they are going to, and want to get there quicker, so that they can enjoy themselves for a longer period of time.

I know that if I was leaving work at the end of the day on Friday, heading home to pick up my GF, and then we were heading over to the Pepsi Center to watch a hockey game, or a concert, I would be more likely to go a bit faster than someone who was leaving work, and going home to their abusive spouse and ungrateful kids, and the dog that pees on the carpet because of a brain tumor pressing on their skull causing them incontinence issues.

So I want to get were I'm going faster because fun is involved, while the other person wants to go slower because their life is going to be more miserable than it was while at work.

Maybe you people have no problems driving the speed limit and below because your lives aren't that great where you are headed to on that particular occasion?

BC.

That's got to be the worst excuse I've ever heard...

BC.

Lol I kinda agree.

however that being said, on non-highway roads where the speed limit is 55, I won't do more than 60. On interstate highways, I'll usually do between 7-10 over. I drove out here to Niagara with the cruise set at 75, on a clear road, and passed several state troopers in the median, and they left me alone completely. There was usually barely more than 2 or 3 cars on my side of the road within view at any given time.

It doesn't even rise to excuse. It's a non-sequitur.

How good or bad your life is, or how good or bad someone else judges your life to be is immaterial. It's the same sort of justification abusive people use. Blame someone else for their personal behavior or judgments.

I.E. if only their life were as good as mine, they wouldn't drive slow, I wouldn't have to hate them.

Are we really that judgmental and selfish today?

BC.

BC.

Or maybe they enjoy driving, and are slowing down to enjoy the scenery. It's about the trip, not the destination.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Gotten 47mpg highway on mild hypermiling in my 04 ex with 2 other people and luggage in the car going to the beach on a summer day with ac on half the time on summer tires.

People need to look at the way they drive in my opinion

Yeah like hypermiling and holding everybody else up!

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Gotten 47mpg highway on mild hypermiling in my 04 ex with 2 other people and luggage in the car going to the beach on a summer day with ac on half the time on summer tires.

People need to look at the way they drive in my opinion

Is your 04 EX auto or 5 speed ?

40mpg all highway in my 31mpg rated integra going 65. 9mpg difference.

i'll take a civic lx anyday..47mpg and not even a hybrid!!

confused.gif
33.gif

I have no problem getting over 40 MPG on highway runs in my Civic even when doing 110-120 km/h. Most of the time I try to keep it right near 100 on the highway and that usually gives me about 45 MPG. I've seen as high as 53.3 MPG on my Scangauge on a 70 mile trip I took with the cruise set to 50 mph (did it just to try for the best possible MPG) The other day I even managed to get 41 MPG on a 10 mile trip in the "city", although I was doing a steady 60km/h along a straight stretch of road where I was lucky enough to only get stuck at one red light.

So I'm getting way over the EPA ratings in my Civic all the time. I do drive it like a granny though, to maximize MPG. I save the heavy foot for when I'm driving the Vette.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I have to use wider tires to keep the wheels from spinning off the line (FWD + no LSD = sucks!)

sounds like an excuse an 18yo would give his Dad.

seriously, if you can't take off in a scion w/o spinning the tires you need to go take some driving lessons.

Buddy, the car is modified (which = more power, which = higher tendency for wheel spin)

I'm not launching from a stand still, like im in a drag race. It has short gearing and a decent amount of torque, which as mentioned before, with no LSD and puny tires = wheel spin with a regular, normal take off and then go WOT.

It spins in 2nd and 3rd gear on wet roads @ 45mph+. It's just the nature of the beast.

There's no reason to throw out insulting age comments. For all you know I'm a retired war vet and could have $10,000 worth of upgrades in the car, making 2-3x the stock HP rating.
thumbsup2.gif

35.gif

confused.gif
33.gif

mad.gif

What's your hurry?

Because we spend YEARS upon YEARS on the road, going from one place to another. I'd rather spend that time doing something else. Going 30mph in a 45 zone is a turtle pace and i'm slowly dying inside as seconds pass.

Driving 60mph in a 70 zone during rush hour traffic (basically MAKING traffic and slow downs behind you) is a waste of time in my book. Why go slower and take longer to get to your destination? Do you NOT have somewhere to be?

BC.

x2

Or maybe they enjoy driving, and are slowing down to enjoy the scenery. It's about the trip, not the destination.

Excuses! You should be watching the ROAD, not looking around, enjoying the view on the other side of the bridge
33.gif

It's also those people who end up CRASHING and then cause EVEN MORE traffic and slow downs then they were causing by going BELOW the speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back