Good oil drain pan

Here’s the setup I use. The container holds 12 qts. Minimum cleanup and mess.
That's the same design I had and didn't like. You never know how far the oil or fluid is going to come out at first and it missed (at first) when I tried using it twice.

I am with CB22 on the big round galvanized pan. Use it for oil and brake work. Mine may be 40 yr old too. My middle son used and found one also I think at rural king. Long as you don't drive on it its pretty indestructible.

That's the same design I had and didn't like. You never know how far the oil or fluid is going to come out at first and it missed (at first) when I tried using it twice.
This is true. That why I also use the modified plastic gallon, shown in the picture, which directs the oil flow into the 12 qt container.

That's my only real complaint about the one I have (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-Flo-Tool-42003MI-Drain-Container-16-Quart/44580714). Otherwise, the capacity is great, it pours into my larger 25L jerrycan, and can be stored standing upright even with oil in it. I had a smaller version which had an even shallower upper pan section that I returned/exchanged.

Everyone complains about the splash too. Some people wad up some paper towels to keep it from splashing while I saw a video from BigDog5001 where he lays a piece of material (I've seen it before but don't know what it's called) in the top that stops the splashing. Problem I see with it is removing it later when you need to pour out the jug. Seems to me it will still be oil-soaked enough that it may make a mess, albeit smaller mess.
Wound up putting a Fumoto my 8 quart motor - can reach under and start it draining before crawling under to get the filter - which depending on make can do 2 OCI …
Just not going to do that on the Jeep …

I have one of these, and like that OP, not giving it up.

I don't feel the need to have yet another surface to clean up, so the pans that have an external catch basin don't make any sense to me.

More so since the vast majority of drain plugs on the vehicles I've owned don't point straight down, so there is also a lateral flow stream to deal with.

I like to use my big round one with the deep pouring spout. Annoying to clean but it's very easy to pour the old oil into my jug and take to the recycling center.

That's what I now use. It's simple, and works great and has a large capacity. I also like the way the inward curved lip around the edges seems to help in preventing spatter from going all over.

The long downward pointed spout is easy to drain the contents into a 5 gallon jug that I have which holds all the oil from all 3 of my vehicles. After I'm finished I take it to Autozone and dump it. Simple, cheap, and it works.

I have just started using a Mityvac fluid extractor. The Jaguar oil change is just over 7 quarts. Is there any reason that I can't buy a new 2.5 gallon gas can and empty the contents of the Mityvac into it and then take that gas can to the recycling point and pour it out ?
I could mark that gas can to be for used motor oil only so not to get it mixed up with a gas can I use for my snowblower.

Been using this or one like it for about 20 years now. Stil have to deal with the filter though. But its good for holding an oil change worth until you decide to bottle it for disposal. Keep an old ice chest with about 6 gallon jugs in the shop. Once filled , take a drive to local collection station.
10115__66722__76585.1630337541.jpg

Winner! I hate the ones where the oil just sits on top of the concave drain area. This has a lid. What is it?
I prefer the lid-less type. No more wrenches or pan bolts dropped in the oil. No more sloshing when sliding the pan out from under the vehicle. I just leave it to drain down over a day or two and wipe the residue off with a rag. No fuss, no muss.

I prefer the lid-less type. No more wrenches or pan bolts dropped in the oil. No more sloshing when sliding the pan out from under the vehicle.
That's why I alway used one with the concave top, if I dropped the pan bolt or wrench it wouldn't end up in 3 inches of oil plus no worries about it sloshing around when dragging it out.

images.jpg

I have a Blitz pan with a spout. I pour the drain into a 5-gal. Rubbermaid gas can that gets emptied out at the recycling center.

I wish Blitz didn't go out of business. They made good products.

I have a Blitz pan with a spout. I pour the drain into a 5-gal. Rubbermaid gas can that gets emptied out at the recycling center.

I wish Blitz didn't go out of business. They made good products.
I'm using a Blitz pan that I've had for over 10 years as well. A very nice design, provided you remember to open the plug in the middle and the breather hole... ask me how I know... :)

Back