Good diff oil for lunchbox locker?

97 Jeep Cherokee XJ, Dana 30 front axle, 3.07 gears.

I'm going to install a lunch box locker in the next couple of days. One of the Aussie locker styles.
It gets very cold here at times, so I intend to run a 75w90 in it to improve cold performance.

Is that a bad call? I'm also looking for something that really isn't boutique. Any recommendations?The Cherokee is my winter beater and Summer Wheeler, so it may become water contaminated, and be honest the Cherokee isn't worth that much right now anyway.

I have a near limitless supply of mobile fleet 85w140, but I can really tell when it's 10° or below.

Lunchbox locker? That’s a new term to me. In our Cherokee we use 80W-90 year round. I think 75W-90 will be just fine.
a lunchbox locker is just a class of locker. the cheap ratcheting autolockers that could be had by bringing a lunchbox to work for a month or two.

an aussie locker or a spartan locker are two of the most popular models

Won't matter. That locker will split the carrier long before the oil type is of any concern.
that all depends on your use case. in my area I need pure traction, shock loads are low.

think muddy fields and deep snow, not hopping rocks

I also maintain weak axles as a fuse point

Most of these are cog type lockers, in absence of a specific recommendation from the manufacturer, i would use what is recommended by the axle manufacturer (FWIW I could not find a recommendation from aussielocker).

Should be no requirement for friction modifier, but it also shouldn't hurt.

Back