Good cold flow

Whats a good start up flowing 5w20 for Colorado winters? Are the differences between brands of the same weight even that negligible?

Good old “flow”. And oils are not characterized by “weight.”

Flow is largely irrelevant in an ICE, what matters is cranking and pumpability. This is indicated and specified by the oil’s winter rating. Pick a grade with a winter rating that is appropriate for your expected starting conditions. Or as Jimmy_Russells notes, just get one with a 0W rating.

Yeah, 0W-xx for best cold start-up pumpability. But 5W-xx can go pretty low too. If no block heater, consider the coldest possible temperature and choose the appropriate W rating.

E9AD8C05-77E9-4472-B82F-6D1625B0B254.jpeg

5W is good down to -30C, 0W down to -35C. How cold temperatures do you see?

Where I live we usually see at coldest -25C. So I’m totally happy with 5W oil.

But oils are allowed to slip a winter grade in use... also if you engine is a diesel, remember that fuel dilution is not your friend at those temperatures, especially since it's the bio-component that is most likely to cause the dilution. Bio diesel doesn't like cold...

0w-20 is a better oil anyway. Usually has a slightly higher KV100 and HTHS and more PAO. No reason to use 5w-20 if you're going to use a 20 grade.
*Besides the lower cranking ability and opportunity for more PAO content of the 0W20 oils - I would not necessarily rule out 5W20 synthetic oils for usage . For one , they usually have a lower NOACK than a 0W20 as well as usually more shear stable as well . For GDI engine applications a 5W20 synthetic oil may have benefits (unless you live in a truly frigid climate) .

0w-20 is a better oil anyway. Usually has a slightly higher KV100 and HTHS and more PAO. No reason to use 5w-20 if you're going to use a 20 grade.
A SAE J300 grade is not a "better oil", I would compare finished lubricants.
So what two were you thinking of?

I just looked at Valvoline HM syn , and I would pick the 0W20 if expecting a nasty, cold winter. Just due to the higher VI and lower KV40.

I wish there was a KV-zero- reporting requirement, KV40 is still over 100 deg F test. I suppose the data could be extrapolated, but with high VM loads I would think it's hard to predict. Plus many blenders are not particularly forthcoming with KV40 or VI.

I would just like to note the OP did not mention "synthetic". Maybe they are interested in a "conventional" 5W20

I have a small stock of the old Kendall 5w20 GT1 max w/titanium. Which I am sure will be fine in single digit weather.

Back