Good bye air compressor

air hammer alone is worth keeping a real compressor for
I rarely use an air hammer anyway. And when I do, an air compressor that runs off a 15 or 20amp 120v outlet won't suffice.

So, it's a mute point.

I rarely use an air hammer anyway. And when I do, an air compressor that runs off a 15 or 20amp 120v outlet won't suffice.

So, it's a mute point.
Air tools run off of air, not electricity. The electricity is for recharge. If you have a full tank, it really doesn't matter what voltage is on the other side, you can get work done.

I got by for decades with a 10gal 1/3HP oiled compressor. And used it for a 1960's era air hammer. I can't count the number of exhausts we cut off with that combination. There's one air hammer tool that cuts a nice little slot right up the tube.

The keys were to a.) get rid of any constrictive fittings (a quick release in particular was just killing me for a while), and b.) time your work to rest or do other stuff during the recharge cycle.

While I don't recommend my old combo for everyone, it is a worthy question to ask, and there are valid answers below "60 gallons / 240V" (what I have now).

Air tools run off of air, not electricity. The electricity is for recharge. If you have a full tank, it really doesn't matter what voltage is on the other side, you can get work done.
I guess it depends on how long it takes for the air hammer to deplete the tank...

I got by for decades with a 10gal 1/3HP oiled compressor. And used it for a 1960's era air hammer. I can't count the number of exhausts we cut off with that combination. There's one air hammer tool that cuts a nice little slot right up the tube.

The keys were to a.) get rid of any constrictive fittings (a quick release in particular was just killing me for a while), and b.) time your work to rest or do other stuff during the recharge cycle.

While I don't recommend my old combo for everyone, it is a worthy question to ask, and there are valid answers below "60 gallons / 240V" (what I have now).
There’s nothing more soothing than a 120v air compressor that won’t stop running because it can’t keep up with demand.

The oil free pumps are the best.

I got my father in laws 21 gal craftsman oil less motor compressor. It’s gotta be 12 years old. He rarely used it. I use it mainly for tires and taking off lug nuts.

If you want to stick with something you can plug into a 120v outlet, I recommend anything with a California air tools style oil-less "quiet" compressor. I love my Kobalt 26g quiet tech compressor. It's literally as quiet as an window a/c compressor. If you want something more old school, get the oil lubed belt drive 20g Porter-Cable unit from Tractor Supply. The only problem is both of these machines are $100 more than they were 1.5yrs ago, but what isn't these days.

would not be without one, 60 gal 220V in garage jut after built + another craftsmsn very loud oiless unit i bought before the garage unit, also a small carry around one. lots of options depending on your needs + $$$

would not be without one, 60 gal 220V in garage jut after built + another craftsmsn very loud oiless unit i bought before the garage unit, also a small carry around one. lots of options depending on your needs + $$$
I got tired of jerking around with smaller compressors and went with a 220V 60 gallon compressor as well. My only regret is I didn't buy one a few decades sooner than I did.

Sticking with air. 20gl HF (oil) runs 2x a month. Runs my 1/2 impact for lugs and suspension work. It also blows out the sprinkler system. Everything else is hand ratchets and wrenches. Got to keep using those muscles working. I’m also not doing flat rate work……which would require going electric.

A few months back I was faced with the same dilemma. I ended up with a Ridgid 6 gallon pancake and so far have few regrets.
I love the portability, 125psi it plenty of pressure, the price was right, but there are just some things a full sized shop compressor does better.

I’ve got a 8gal porter cable from tsc, belt driven. it is perfect for my needs. It will run an impact, and can just run a die-grinder/polisher, but it does need catch-up time, which I’ll work in with applying wax. The air hose is invaluable here for cleaning household air filters, fans, hair dryers, drain lines and other. It will run a hvlp spray gun comfortably. And it’s much quieter than the typical buzz-saw units. I could probably have used one of those newer silent oil-less units, but those weren’t well known when I was shopping and there were some bad reviews on Amazon surrounding the offerings at the time.

Back