Goldwing Traxxion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
First off - NO, I didn't misspell "traction".

For those who don't know, Traxxion is a suspension company for motorcycles. It produces PREMIUM components that are tuned to specific applications.

I am familiar with the GL1800 Wing; I had a 2006 since new until just this year when I traded it for a Vic XCT. My Wing had 55k miles when I traded it. So I have a very good idea how "stock" Wings handle.

Then I had a chance to ride a GL1800 Goldwing that got the Traxxion treatment. WOW was it impressive. This work was done to a friend's 2007 GL1800 with 78k miles on the original suspension. To say the OEM stuff was worn out is an understatement. I rode the bike pre and post conversion; the transformation was nothing short of magic. Wings are sold OEM with soft rides so that the road-sofa folks are happy with the test ride. But the Wings can be made to handle and ride well, is suspended and tuned properly. That is what Traxxion does. This bike now handles as if on rails, does not sag when sat upon, takes bumps MUCH better without jostling off line, and the head shimmy is flat gone.

It's not a cheap upgrade; typically around $3000 for the full effect of rebuilt rear shock, completely modified forks and brace, All-Balls, etc. But it's amazing what happens when you don't sag out 75% of your travel just sitting on the bike.

I will note, if you have a good Traxxion authorized installer, that you're going to have to realize life is a compromise. If you "tune" (choose) the spring rates for two-up riding, then riding solo will be a tad stiff, even with the rear preload at zero. But the compliance of the valving is an improvement over the harsh jolts of the stock garbage. If you choose springs for solo riding, then two up will be near a practical limit, but the pre-load can really help off-set. My buddy chose the two-up package because he rides with his wife at times, and he rides aggressively. So riding his bike solo (we swapped for a few hundred miles on our recent annual fall trip) can be a tad rough, but it is preferable over the wobbly wallowing and sagging legs of the OEM setup. This conversion truly makes the GL1800 into a sport-tourer, able to keep up with many other brands now. Just make sure that you work with your installer to choose the right spring rates and you will never be more happy.

The work was done by Paul Bihm in Evansville, IN. Top quality man doing excellent quick work. The total "full monty" job was done in about 6 hours on a Saturday. This guy has done about 200"ish" of these Wing conversions, and he can probably now do them in his sleep. You can find his contact into at the Traxxion site.

As said, this isn't cheap. But it is FAR cheaper than buying a new bike, and will transform your Wing into something that you never thought was even possible. It is that good.

Last edited:
+1

I can attest Traxxion is some seriously good suspension. When I was roadracing bikes I had once of their re-worked Penske shocks and fork cartridges. Whatever the application, they know how to match their setups to the application, whether it be race bike or a 'wing.

Yup.

I added Traxxion AK20 cartridges to my Thruxton to replace the damper rod internals back in '05. Awesome. I kept the carts when I sold the bike, and Traxxion adapted them to my F800S. It was like $1100 initially (and a bit more to fit them to the F800) but worth every penny. Especially nice was gaining spring preload and rebound damping adjustment on the F800 where it was previously a totally non-adjustable damper rod fork.

They are one of very few outfits that offer true suspension upgrades to bikes that aren't full boogy sportbikes. Suspension is probably the single best modification one can make to any vehicle, because one can enjoy the benefits on every single ride, regardless of the pace of that ride.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Big thumbs up to Traxxion from me too. I had them build me a Penske shock for my FJR. Very nice.

A few months later I had them send me some new fork springs which I had installed by Velocity Calibrations. More good results.

Suspension work isn't cheap, but it's worth it once you experience the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back