Goldwing 1800, Castrol vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Dnewton3, is this the 1994 article you are referring to? http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm . The motorcycle and diesel oils have changed alot in 13 years and each is more specialized than ever before.

Yes, I'm sure that's the article he's referring to since nowhere in it does it say anything about diesel oils, and it specifically states that motorcycle specific oils are a waste of money.
smirk.gif

Actually, no, that's not the articles I was referring to.

The articles I was referring to start about 4 years ago, but I'm doing that by memeory as I'm at work and the magazines are at home right now. Anyway, the articles were a series of installments over 3 months, and the conclusion I, and about everyone else, drew was that FOR THE MONEY, IT'S HARD TO BEAT A DIESEL RATED OIL FOR MOTORCYCLES. When I get home tonight I'll try to get the month/year of each article. Now, again, they are not THE best, but when you can spend 50% less and only lose 10% compared to full motorcycle specific performance, it's hard to beat that deal. I'm running Castrol Tection Extra 15w-40 right now in my 'Wing; when I pull it I'll get a sample to Blackston and let you know how it does.

Quote:

the articles were a series of installments over 3 months, and the conclusion I, and about everyone else, drew was that FOR THE MONEY, IT'S HARD TO BEAT A DIESEL RATED OIL FOR MOTORCYCLES.

That's exactly right.

Amsoil is fine oil ... no doubt about that.

So is Mobil 1 motorcycle oil.

So is Rotella, Delvac and Delo.

Nobody can categorically state that HDEO is bad for motorcycles ... because it's not. There's too much evidence in the VOAs that suggest the add pack of these oils is comparable in many ways to the Amsoils and Mobils. There's too much anecdotal evidence from users of Rotella and Delvac and Delo who've put hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes using the stuff.

If someone wants to run 10K miles in their bike then Amsoil or Mobil is great stuff. If someone is planning more frequent change intervals then $9/gallon Rotella is a fantastic deal. That's the bottom line.

I was not aware of the methodolgy problems, brought forth by Blake Sobiloff, but I can now understand his point. Still, there is good information in the articles. Yes, oils and bikes have changed in the last several years, but I believe both have changed for the better. I know that Dyson has been quoted on this site as saying the new CJ-4 Rotella is quite a stong dino contender, nearing synthetic performance.

I was suprised on how low the Honda oil was ranked in the MCN tests. I have a friend in the D.C. area that has over 110k miles on a ST1100, and he does none of his own maitenance. He goes to the dealer for his oil changes, every 8000 miles like his manual says; they use Honda oil. If the Honda oil can get changed every 8K miles and make a bike last over 100K miles, then a HDEO diesel oil ought to make my bike last forever.

Quote:

I was suprised on how low the Honda oil was ranked in the MCN tests. I have a friend in the D.C. area that has over 110k miles on a ST1100, and he does none of his own maitenance. He goes to the dealer for his oil changes, every 8000 miles like his manual says; they use Honda oil. If the Honda oil can get changed every 8K miles and make a bike last over 100K miles, then a HDEO diesel oil ought to make my bike last forever.

Wow ... that's a pretty amazing piece of information. It makes me wonder if it's true what others have told me -- "Stop worrying about the oil! Any decent oil will do." Based on this testimonial, it seems it might.

I wonder if the dealer really used Honda oil? My dealer in Tucson seems to favor Bel Ray. They pop 20W-50 into everything, summer or winter.

Coming off 15w40 amsoil diesil( better than their MC oils IMO), I found rotella 15w40 shifted like [censored], I was disappointed as I was hoping for a good $2 per quart oil. Usable but definitely not the best feel tranny wise( very notchy right from New).

If you want 4000 mile changes I would suggest something like an MX4t Mobil 1, with 1 Quart of Mobil 1 vtwin added for endurance.

Shifting ? is the best your going to get

I've noticed that my GL1800 does not shift quite as well as a couple of the GL1500's I've had in the past.

I wonder if the tolerances are tighter and that I might need to change to a 10w-30 HDEO. I just might try this at my next OCI for the sake of shift quality to see if it improves. The engine is not really a question here as any liquid cooled, fuel injected Honda ought to last forever. The real issue is the transmission, and how it will effect the oil, which in turn effects the engine.

Quote:

I've noticed that my GL1800 does not shift quite as well as a couple of the GL1500's I've had in the past.

I wonder if the tolerances are tighter and that I might need to change to a 10w-30 HDEO. I just might try this at my next OCI for the sake of shift quality to see if it improves. The engine is not really a question here as any liquid cooled, fuel injected Honda ought to last forever. The real issue is the transmission, and how it will effect the oil, which in turn effects the engine.

The 2006 and beyond Goldwings do call for a 10W-30 weight oil for most conditions. I'd love to try the Rotella T 10W-30 CJ-4 in my '07 Wing, but I can't find it here in Arizona. Honda has a new synthetic 10W-30, but the dealership has it for $9.50/quart.

But, bottom line, my Wing seems to shift okay on the Rotella 15W-40. It gets a little finicky when the outside temperatures go over 105 degrees.

I think this would be a very good oil to use in a motorcycle application where a 10W30 is called for.
API SL, SJ, SH, SG...(Gasoline)
API CF, CD (Diesel)
JASO MA/MA2 (Motorcycle Wet Clutch)

ase_qt_350pxh.jpg

I am running 15w-40 Tection Extra (Castrol) because I'm trying to burn up the last gallons I got on an excellent buy. Running it in my Duramax now; burned about 1 quart on a 3k mile vacation pulling my travel trailer to SD and back.

I can get the new CJ-4 Rotella at Menards (regional hardware chain) for a very good price. Might give the new 10w-30 CJ a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back