Going to the thicker side

There are still a lot of people out there who are confused as to what makes an oil thicker than another. For instance I still see some Corvette owners posting that they don’t want to use a “thin watery oil like 0w40” and they want to stick with 5w30 because they think it’s the thicker viscosity 🤦‍♂️

There are still a lot of people out there who are confused as to what makes an oil thicker than another. For instance I still see some Corvette owners posting that they don’t want to use a “thin watery oil like 0w40” and they want to stick with 5w30 because they think it’s the thicker viscosity 🤦‍♂️

I've had a certified mechanic argue with me that 5W-20 is thicker than 0W-40.

I used to run Delo 15w40 in my 2011 Camaro SS. Thick oil is great. Thin oil is designed to increase MPG at the expense of engine wear. Some engineers claim the thin oil is for the increasing tight clearances of modern engines. Yet those same engines are still spec'd thicker oil in various parts of the world.

Just finished driving through the lower California Valley with temps approaching 110 F. with a loaded 4 cylinder SUV , high speed , higher reving interstate passing lane driving , etc. made me more comfortable knowing I had M1 5W30 EP in the crank case .

Just finished driving through the lower California Valley with temps approaching 110 F. with a loaded 4 cylinder SUV , high speed , higher reving interstate passing lane driving , etc. made me more comfortable knowing I had M1 5W30 EP in the crank case .
I drove through TX and AZ back to CA also in 110+ degrees. Was very confident having Valvoline syn 10w30 in the engine

Man, 30 grade? I'd be nervous. Better up it to 40 next time if you value your vehicle.

Man, 30 grade? I'd be nervous. Better up it to 40 next time if you value your vehicle.
I’m just happy I didn’t have 5W20 in it as the Kia Seltos engine oil cap suggested . The OM calls out 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 .

Back