Going to 3k oil changes for a bit

I just got a new to me 2014 CRV that has an oil consumption issue. I’m going to be running Valvoline R&P 0w20 and run it for 3k; hoping that it frees up the carbon gunking up the oil rings. I’m debating on which oil filters to run. It’ll be a Fram for sure, I’m just not sure if it should be the Endurance or Tough guard. Any opinions?

VRP is not even advertised as fast cleaning - I’d be doing at least two of those short runs on a Fram FE …
I know this. They say it takes 4, 4k oil changes to get to 100% clean. I don’t think the endurance holds as much dirt as the full synthetic

How many miles are on this NTY 2014 CRV?
What engine do you have?

I can hear echoes of "Mobil1 cleans real well...". Is the Valvoline R&P that much better?
Good luck.

I know this. They say it takes 4, 4k oil changes to get to 100% clean. I don’t think the endurance holds as much dirt as the full synthetic
The Endurance IS the full synthetic. Unless you can find an old white backed OG Ultra or Titanium, the pink media is somewhat thicker than the Endurance.

The Endurance IS the full synthetic. Unless you can find an old white backed OG Ultra or Titanium, the pink media is somewhat thicker than the Endurance.
I’m sorry I phrased that wrong. I know the endurance is full synthetic. The full synthetic I was referring to was the Ultra. I believe the the new ultra holds more dirt than the endurance

I just got a new to me 2014 CRV that has an oil consumption issue. I’m going to be running Valvoline R&P 0w20 and run it for 3k; hoping that it frees up the carbon gunking up the oil rings. I’m debating on which oil filters to run. It’ll be a Fram for sure, I’m just not sure if it should be the Endurance or Tough guard. Any opinions?
The 2.4 is rated for up to 15 W-4 overseas.

I would go heavier once it is cleaned up; in fact we have a 40 grade oil in ours right now.

How much difference (if any at all) would you expect a filter to do at 3K OCI !?

I would also go up in viscosity to 3.5HTHS.

It would be GREAT to get a before and after at least inside the valve cover even borescope to show the skeptics, or cheerleaders.

What is the mileage? any known history? Last time PCV changed?

We of course WILL NEED filter C&P's.

I went the HPL EC30 route on my daughters '08 with and got lots of carbon things out. I posted pictures. Hers also wasn't and still is not burning any noticeable amount with over 230k on it.

Hers has been mostly Fram Ultra's since we got it from my sister with like 210k a couple years ago iirc.

If it must be Fram Tough Guard is 20um. I would run it.

Well actually I would run a better assembled filter like a Hengst, but if you must use Fram then Tough Guard or even orange can (25um)

Also interested in the results of the experiment.

The car has almost 180k on it currently. It has the 2.4 liter engine
How many miles are on this NTY 2014 CRV?
What engine do you have?

I can hear echoes of "Mobil1 cleans real well...". Is the Valvoline R&P that much better?
Good luck.
I’ve heard that Mobil leaves varnish behind, I’ve never been a fan

Back