going thicker with variable displacement oil pump

@930.engineering: Ravenol REP 5W30 is whats in the engine atm - unfortunately I already experience rising oil levels due to what seems like hardcoded DPF regen intervals (every 200 miles, regardless of pure city driving, high speed highway driving or fuel saving highway driving)....

@930.engineering: Ravenol REP 5W30 is whats in the engine atm - unfortunately I already experience rising oil levels due to what seems like hardcoded DPF regen intervals (every 200 miles, regardless of pure city driving, high speed highway driving or fuel saving highway driving)....

Not sure if the resulting drop in viscosity is that significant and thicker oil required, but IF you'd like to go one not too big step thicker, then RUP 5W-40 seems appropriate. Very much the same as REP (which is a thick 30), similar C3 formulation, same W-324 ad pack, similar approvals (LL-04 and MB 229.51, however VW 511 00 and Porsche C40 added as a bonus), but just a tad thicker. RUP is at the thinner end of 40 - 14.3 instead of 12.2 mm²/s at 100 °C, HTHS at 3.9 instead of 3.7 mPа*s. Unsurprisingly they also look almost the same on VOAs except for viscosity. Personally if there's a need I wouldn't even hesitate to mix both oils as they are so similar. That said, on a regen-plagued Diesel short OCI are generally indicated.

The ECU probably doesn't need to know actual pressures. Just guessing, but if there are two minimum pressure thresholds/targets to meet and if they're actually meet, what usually will easily be the case (actual pressure will likely exceed the minimum target), then everyting is fine. I'd bet that's the way it works on my GTI and perhaps similar on my Mini. These engines also have dual-stage oil pumps.

not that I know of ....

Then how does the car know the actual oil pressure? It surely must have some form of sensor to trigger the low oil pressure warning somehow?

Yes, there's the usual low pressure switch every car has, and there's another set for a higher pressure. 2 bar IIRC

Great thread. I’ve been going back and forth on the exact topic but for my 2020 3.0l I6 duramax. Nearly an identical way of thinking as the OP.

I will be switching from the recommended 0w20 dexos D spec oil to a c3 M1 esp 5-30 in the coming week or so.

The few UOA results I’ve seen from other 3.0l duramax trucks running the manufacturer 0w20 between 5-7k miles post concerning levels of iron nearly every time. Even my 4700 miles run (after initial 1000 miles) posted nearly 50ppm.

Currently I have M1 esp 0w20 and will be running a 4K mile UOA on that to see iron levels and refilling with the 5-30 esp.

Great thread. I’ve been going back and forth on the exact topic but for my 2020 3.0l I6 duramax. Nearly an identical way of thinking as the OP.

I will be switching from the recommended 0w20 dexos D spec oil to a c3 M1 esp 5-30 in the coming week or so.

The few UOA results I’ve seen from other 3.0l duramax trucks running the manufacturer 0w20 between 5-7k miles post concerning levels of iron nearly every time. Even my 4700 miles run (after initial 1000 miles) posted nearly 50ppm.

Currently I have M1 esp 0w20 and will be running a 4K mile UOA on that to see iron levels and refilling with the 5-30 esp.
Please post the UOA on the 5w-30 ESP when you finish the run....I'm heavily leaning towards that oil for my Baby Max.

Back