Godbye Ancient Hardwired Alarm System: Hello Ring Wireless

^^ pointless replying as your statements show that maybe you didn’t completely read everything I wrote. Part of which was simply safe, you simply throw the cone in the refrigerator during the countdown entry delay.
To answer your question on how this is different from a professional system or one supplied by the links that I provided if something like that was attempted and central station did not get a signal that the system was disarmed they will alert you.
To simplify, entry delay occurs, If the system is not deactivated using a code or remote even if no alarm single comes through it will alert you.
The links I provided clearly show professional grade equipment that is user installed as well as professional.
My post is in reference to these exclusively marketed low-cost equipment, your statements make it sound like you have to pay large sums of money to a company like ADT which is not true.
You can get the same higher quality equipment and low cost monitoring that you are paying now.
There is some value in paying a little bit more for namebrand equipment from established global security companies.
The only reason I responded was your post made it sound like to have this equipment you have to pay a company like a ADT huge amounts of money which is not true.
It’s not me who has to get with the times as wireless technology has been used for decades in the security industry.
Your vista system could’ve easily been upgraded in anyway you’d like If it wasn’t already wireless.
I’m not even really knocking what you did after all it’s a security system. But to trash an industry when you don’t know better is.

Last edited:
Simplisafe is a good system also.. co smoke alarm, 9 sensors, interior motion, 2 keypads and 2 keychain remotes . I want to say it costed at the time 4 yrs ago $500.

its the older system but still working great... simplisafe sent out a new cellular module cause T-Mobile is discontinuing their 2g network and replaced the module with a Verizon 4g. However the newer systems are beautiful my father has it.

Basic monitoring $14.99

Last edited:
The notion of wireless alarms being "hacked" are for 99.999% unfounded. If you're home were the Guggenheim museum, perhaps...but a a 3-4 BR home in the suburbs...no way. I'm a retired cop and former corporate security executive. I trust the Ring system as much as I trusted the hardwired systems I specked(sp?) for corporate facilities and massive retail facilities.
Here's what I bought for our new place:

PLUS 1 additional keypad and 2 additional motion detectors Plus the Ring doorbell 2020 version.
actually you are totally incorrect, they can be disabled very easily, most are garbage

[935] SimpliSafe Alarm Bypassed With a $2 Device From Amazon - YouTube

Reactions: Y_K
actually you are totally incorrect, they can be disabled very easily, most are garbage

[935] SimpliSafe Alarm Bypassed With a $2 Device From Amazon - YouTube
Nice post there is some value in any alarm system, most residential break ins are kids and junkies and wouldn't go through the effort with a jammer. Actually some do in the more populated areas so I take back part of the statement but its better then nothing and most cases will do the job...

It does highlight the differences between higher end slightly more expensive equipment and the mass market department store consumer stuff.
There is some credibility to use a different yard sign as well, your actually identifying to a their exactly what security system is installed.

Last edited:
I question the value of home alarm systems. I think the noise making aspect is probably the only value-to spook a burglar. If someone forces entry while I'm home, may God have mercy on their sole, otherwise I'll file an insurance claim. I have to carry insurance anyway.

My father's house was burglarized about 10 years ago. The perps made off with about $12000 worth of goods. Insurance fully reimbursed. How much is monitoring per month? Multiply that buy several years. At that point, you could be paying more for insurance and alarm monitoring than the value of the contents- the, smaller, easier to grab stuff. It's like when people pay rent for storage units for years and eventually they've spent more on rent than the value of the property in the unit!

There is some credibility to use a different yard sign as well, your actually identifying to a their exactly what security system is installed.
Speaking of which, I need to swap out the Xfinity Home sign for a Bay Alarm one at a place I care for.

Nice post there is some value in any alarm system, most residential break ins are kids and junkies and wouldn't go through the effort with a jammer. Actually some do in the more populated areas so I take back part of the statement but its better then nothing and most cases will do the job...

It does highlight the differences between higher end slightly more expensive equipment and the mass market department store consumer stuff.
Yes, a generic yard sign is a great idea.

I question the value of home alarm systems. I think the noise making aspect is probably the only value-to spook a burglar. If someone forces entry while I'm home, may God have mercy on their sole, otherwise I'll file an insurance claim. I have to carry insurance anyway.

My father's house was burglarized about 10 years ago. The perps made off with about $12000 worth of goods. Insurance fully reimbursed. How much is monitoring per month? Multiply that buy several years. At that point, you could be paying more for insurance and alarm monitoring than the value of the contents- the, smaller, easier to grab stuff. It's like when people pay rent for storage units for years and eventually they've spent more on rent than the value of the property in the unit!
Its a choice. Value is a choice as well, Like a BMW vs Chevy Traverse or a day on the golf course or at home reading a book.
What works for whomever, all good.
We all value certain luxuries in life, for some family protection is important. Its not for some who could care less because its insured, its who attacks who if someone was home when the place was broken into, wives daughters, sons or yourself.
God forbid a young one or wife comes home and thieves are already in the house. A system, makes sure they are not.

Some people would consider $12,000 worth of stuff stolen heartbreaking, others, its just a number. It wouldn't have happened if he had an alarm though. Other people have had their homes completely destroyed, no alarm, the people who broke in destroyed the entire interior of the home, had to push open the front door to push aside all the broken furniture, trashed walls too, lady was afraid to sleep there until repairs and security system put into place.

Its all about choice, people will spend $500 a year on a TV sports package or $700 a year for cell phone service instead of $240 making sure their family is safe but think an alarm system is too much money for as little as $180 a year in monitoring, or no monitoring at all, and just have strobes and siren. Lets not forget about Fire and CO monitoring. I knew a whole family who died in a fire decades back, Mom, Dad and two newborn twins. Found the dad in the hall and the mom in the bathtub with the kids.

In fact, having an alarm system is one of the most dirt cheap devices Americans spend their money on and protect their home and family.
Again, value, is in the eyes of the people buying something, Pay TV vs Free TV, Sports Package vs No Package. Alarm systems cost nothing compared to almost anything else Americans spend on the household.

BTW, most will also get a insurance discount which will amount to a few dollars a month as well. Anyway, having a system is not about money to some people anymore then it is for you to spend your money on something of "value" in your life.

Last edited:
Its a choice. Value is a choice as well, Like a BMW vs Chevy Traverse or a day on the golf course or at home reading a book.
What works for whomever, all good.
We all value certain luxuries in life, for some family protection is important. Its not for some who could care less because its insured, its who attacks who if someone was home when the place was broken into, wives daughters, sons or yourself.
God forbid a young one or wife comes home and thieves are already in the house. A system, makes sure they are not.

Some people would consider $12,000 worth of stuff stolen heartbreaking, others, its just a number. It wouldn't have happened if he had an alarm though. Other people have had their homes completely destroyed, no alarm, the people who broke in destroyed the entire interior of the home, had to push open the front door to push aside all the broken furniture, trashed walls too, lady was afraid to sleep there until repairs and security system put into place.

Its all about choice, people will spend $500 a year on a TV sports package or $700 a year for cell phone service instead of $240 making sure their family is safe but think an alarm system is too much money for as little as $180 a year in monitoring, or no monitoring at all, and just have strobes and siren. Lets not forget about Fire and CO monitoring. I knew a whole family who died in a fire decades back, Mom, Dad and two newborn twins. Found the dad in the hall and the mom in the bathtub with the kids.

In fact, having an alarm system is one of the most dirt cheap devices Americans spend their money on and protect their home and family.
Again, value, is in the eyes of the people buying something, Pay TV vs Free TV, Sports Package vs No Package. Alarm systems cost nothing compared to almost anything else Americans spend on the household.

BTW, most will also get a insurance discount which will amount to a few dollars a month as well. Anyway, having a system is not about money to some people anymore then it is for you to spend your money on something of "value" in your life.
the alarm doesn't stop the break in, the alarm limits the damage as the thieves know eventually some one is showing up to the house (police, private security, the guy with the Remington 12 etc.)

a good friend of mine did not have an alarm and went on a 2 week vacation from a secluded rural property, the thieves broke in and literally (not figuratively) stole everything including the kitchen sink. They stripped the house bare of appliances and even some of the copper wiring. No alarm gave them days to ransack the house.

The other problem to consider is that criminals know you have insurance, they record your address (phone picture) wait 2-3 months after the burglary to only return and rob you again, this time of brand new (and more valuable) goods like that replacement jewelry

Once you have been robbed once the odds of getting broken in again are very high, just talk to the police or security companies

I have a hardwired monitored alarm with a cell phone back up and I won't live any other way

Back