GM X-Cars

I don’t consider mid-80’s old.
I recently thought about this.
That would be like not calling an early 30's car old back in the early '70's when I first got my license !
Same span of forty years.
But I do understand the touchpoint that things can only really be old if they were produced
BEFORE you were born.
Otherwise, you would be calling yourself old :)

Bought 1980 X-11 New, black with black interior, I was sucked in by the V6, 4 Speed, Rallye Wheels and full gauges, Paint was horrendous and dealer basically said that's how they are. Rear brakes locking up in fast stops was scary. Terrible banging from bottom of car, after several trips to the dealer they finally figured out one of the sub frame to body bolts was too long not allowing it to tighten up.

Bought 1980 X-11 New, black with black interior, I was sucked in by the V6, 4 Speed, Rallye Wheels and full gauges, Paint was horrendous and dealer basically said that's how they are. Rear brakes locking up in fast stops was scary. Terrible banging from bottom of car, after several trips to the dealer they finally figured out one of the sub frame to body bolts was too long not allowing it to tighten up.
The 80 was a mainly an appearance package, the real X-11 came in 81.

It's no citation, but I can hop in my 80s GM anytime I want and drive several hours without worrying about a thing. Working AC, plenty of power. Missing a few modern features but it's solid enjoyable transportation. People these days are too spoiled imo. My car is the same age as me and I admit that we are both getting old.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_093126.jpg
    IMG_20210717_093126.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210717_093118.jpg
    IMG_20210717_093118.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 11
I missed this thread when it was first created,

Back in the late seventies, newly married, needing a car and short on money the new wife and I ended up with a Pontiac Phoenix. It was the most gutless, uninspiring vehicle I have ever owned. Probably why that marriage didn't last very long since my wife had to daily drive that POS and she hated me for it. Catherine, if you are reading this, I'm still truly sorry.
That era Phoenix was actually a Nova. The first FWD model was 1980.

We had the Pontiac version of the Chevette in the early 1980s, the T1000. The X cars seemed pretty nice compared to our Chevette clone. Nothing like long road trips with a family of 4 shoehorned into that car! And gutless, 40-45 mph tops going over the passes on Interstate 5 when we drove from Oregon to California on trips to see relatives. Oh did I mention no AC either so we were sweating like pigs whenever we got into the Central Valley in California.

I actually enjoyed riding with my friend's mom in her early 80s Citation, it was really roomy compared to our Pontiac, had 4 doors, V6 and automatic, plus it had AC. Seemed like way more car than our T1000. But anyway.

I remember way back my employer had a 1982 Citation as a company car. I really enjoyed driving it, it was reliable and I never experienced any of the braking issues they were known for.

Back