GM windshield sprayers on the wiper arms - ARG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Have you tried this?

You know, Ive never ever done this since the day I watched someone put a wiper blade on a Prius, then pushed the arm over when he was done. It smacked the glass and spider webbed the whole thing. Call me overly cautious, but I'd never want to rely on someone not accidentally hitting it and making it smack my windshield.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Have you tried this?

You know, Ive never ever done this since the day I watched someone put a wiper blade on a Prius, then pushed the arm over when he was done. It smacked the glass and spider webbed the whole thing. Call me overly cautious, but I'd never want to rely on someone not accidentally hitting it and making it smack my windshield.
I did that once with my mom's Buick Rendezvous while changing wipers, except there wasn't a blade on it yet. Destroyed the windshield.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Interesting. Mine are there as well and I actually like it... much "cleaner" looking hood (no protruding nozzles), and it allows for a very neat, controlled spray (they don't overspray, or hit the roof). I'm glad mine are where they are, but that's just me!

I do use "winterized" washer fluid year round but would regardless of nozzle placement.

I heartily agree and wish my Hyundai and Sierra had that setup. Even up on the northern frontier ours never freeze up since I switched to Rainex cleaner I get in Wallymart. I’ve see higher freeze rated but at big cost and the Rainex is good enough and not pricy . Now that blue stuff we used for 20+ years did tend to [censored] up on occasion but only when -15 and down. Just get the better stuff or toss some rubbing alcohol in what you have
. I’m not surprised people hare havin unusual issues, it’s been a [censored] of a miserable winter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I did that once with my mom's Buick Rendezvous while changing wipers, except there wasn't a blade on it yet. Destroyed the windshield.

I've wonder if that's just the luck of the draw. At least once a winter I get whacked by a rock at highway speeds. Yet the windshield just registers a small ding.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I mentioned the solution in the OP: heated nozzles. I'm just flabbergast that GM didn't make that standard in the first place. My BMW had heated nozzles on the bloody hood and they were fantastic!

It's a Chevy van not a Beamer!

Yep, never had that issue here! Always loved the directed water going exactly where we needed it despite the speed involved...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I mentioned the solution in the OP: heated nozzles. I'm just flabbergast that GM didn't make that standard in the first place. My BMW had heated nozzles on the bloody hood and they were fantastic!

It's a Chevy van not a Beamer!

Yep, never had that issue here! Always loved the directed water going exactly where we needed it despite the speed involved...

But you are in freakin' Florida! LOL!

They work great in the summer, it is only this time of year that they become a major headache.

I like the design for how it applies the washer fluid but dislike the additional maintenance required with the little hoses and such that go bad. My GMC pickup has this design and it was 23 degrees F this morning and it sprayed fine but I do use the winter washer solution.

You mentioned the van gets whatever gas station washer fluid from what ever employee buys it....can you be for sure that a winter rated fluid is in the reservoir at any given time?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I've wonder if that's just the luck of the draw. At least once a winter I get whacked by a rock at highway speeds. Yet the windshield just registers a small ding.

Different angle.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I like the design for how it applies the washer fluid but dislike the additional maintenance required with the little hoses and such that go bad. My GMC pickup has this design and it was 23 degrees F this morning and it sprayed fine but I do use the winter washer solution.

You mentioned the van gets whatever gas station washer fluid from what ever employee buys it....can you be for sure that a winter rated fluid is in the reservoir at any given time?

It's Canada, it would be rare to see anything other than winter washer fluid at a gas station.

I think the biggest contributor is that it sits for periods, which is what allows the alcohol to evaporate. This vehicle is not daily driven, it may sit for weeks, sometimes months at a time.

Everything we have has wet arms (nozzle on the arm) and we don't have a freezing problem in any of them...even the ones who go south and get US washer fluid (usually half the strength of the CAN stuff) work fine. I do think the lines empty, at least somewhat, because when you hit the washer switch it takes a second or two for the fluid to come out. Seems odd you are having this issue. We buy fluids rated at at least -35C but we don't get anything premium...whatever is cheap.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
My old Chevy Corsica had these nozzles and I liked them. I never had the freezing problem, but the car was driven regularly and never say for extended periods of time.

And that's what I feel is the issue, as it is common across the fleet on any equipped with this design. Seems the hood-mounted ones aren't as susceptible from icing up while sitting.

My Alero has this design. It's [censored] and typical of late '90s early '00s GM - over complicate and under deliver. Even with -45 C fluid the lines will freeze up if the vehicle sits for more than a day or two in weather like we have been having. I think the problem is the tiny sprayer holes freeze up even if the lines are OK. A pin inserted into the holes occasionally works. On my car, more often than not its the driver's side that doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: JHerriot
My Alero has this design. It's [censored] and typical of late '90s early '00s GM - over complicate and under deliver. Even with -45 C fluid the lines will freeze up if the vehicle sits for more than a day or two in weather like we have been having. I think the problem is the tiny sprayer holes freeze up even if the lines are OK. A pin inserted into the holes occasionally works. On my car, more often than not its the driver's side that doesn't work.

Glad to see we aren't the only ones experiencing this on here
cheers3.gif

I have experienced what you are referring too, Overkill, but in all honesty, I am not 100% happy with the hood mounted nozzles on my Ram, especially, and mostly, at Hwy speed.

They have never frozen up, yet, but trying to spray/use them while traveling at hwy speeds of 100-120 km/h, the majority of the fluid barely reaches the windshield.

The ones you are talking about are the best in that regard, but if they are frozen, then they are useless as you have alluded too.
The 09 Sierra I owned, with the not defunct/recalled heated reservoir certainly worked the best but unfortunately, that seems like that is no longer an option on any vehicle that I'll ever own?

All that aside, and although it sounds like you have no control over what goes in it, I have the Costco -45 wiper fluid to be the best out there. My wife's new Impala has the wiper fluid right in the wipers and she hasn't mentioned anything about freeze up during the cold spell we just got over.

Originally Posted By: Garak
GM still does this? The taxis were the same way, and that was decades ago. Sheesh.

Not anymore, at least not on my 2017 GMC Sierra (they're mounted between the windshield and the hood).

I use the Prestone fluid as I had those type washers when I had my truck route from Richmond, VA to Rochester, NY. Only had that stuff freeze once. Try dumping a bottle of alcohol in the washer tank until that batch is used up.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Not anymore, at least not on my 2017 GMC Sierra (they're mounted between the windshield and the hood).

That's a bit better. The sprayers on the arms are great when everything is in proper conditions, as in nothing is clogged or broken and it's not -40. Things never seem to work out that way, though, especially in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back