GM V6 3.1L + Antifreeze gushing out of motor (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 95 Chevy Lumina w/the 3.1L v6. Wife just got home and I smell antifreez. Can't wait to spend another 3-4 hundred dollars on this engine..LOL Anyway, I look under the hood and just to the left of the front valve cover I see coolant streaming down the front of the surpantine belt where it goes around what I blieve to be the water pump. Is this the water pump I'm looking at? I'm hoping this is all it is as the part seems easy enough to get too.

Sounds like the WP to me. Very easy R&R. Be aware, however, that the 5 bolt holes are not evenly spaced and you will have to spend a few minutes finding the right orientation for the gasket. If you've never done it before, figure about an hour and a half. Also, since this particular type of pump is so inexpensive, I suggest that you buy new, vice a reman.

Definitely sounds like a water pump- a very simple job on these engines. I replaced the water pump on my '94 Corsica with a $15 Autozone reman. That was at least 5 years and 40k miles ago... maybe a bit more. No problems so far.

The original pump had and aluminum housing; the reman pump had a cast iron housing. Didn't seem to make any difference.

I just finished replacing the water pump on my '94 Grand Am with the 3.1L. I too bought a DuraLast water pump from AutoZone. I believe it was ~ $30. Gasket came with pump. It is a different material & slightly different design but was a good fit. The pump sits on top so it's a pretty easy job. Pay the deposit for using the serpentine belt remover tool from AutoZone.

How many miles are on the car?

I had my mechanic replace if for 154.00. that price included parts and labor. Not too bad. could have saved myself some money and did it myself, but I wasn't in the mood to mess with it. I'm exhausted these days.

if you plan on keeping the car DO not buy the remanufactured ones. buy an ac delco from the stealership. btw its not too bad of a job. just remember to scrape off all of the old seal around the block and when you are done and refilling back with fresh coolant to fill up to the radiator hole then turn the car on with heat full blast and give it a few minutes to get up to temp. refill the radiator as you. this will help eliminate trapped air in your system

SFCP,

your not too exhausted to worry what oil to put in that intake gastet coolant leaker
tounge2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back