GM Truck Fuel Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
RockAuto lists different ones for different wheelbase trucks. For instance, for my truck, Delco M10104 is listed for the 133 in wheelbase, M10101 is listed for the 119 in wheelbase. The only reason I can think of why wheelbase makes a difference is that the fuel tanks are different and the level sender might not be accurate in a tank it was not designed fro. Is there more to it like a different tank shape makes it not possible to mount a fuel pump not designed for that tank?

For the pumps that come without the sender, do you just transfer the existing sender on to the new pump?

ACDelco M10101.jpg

I ran into this when my pump was replaced a couple of months ago. Tank size and location is different from a 1500 half ton to a 2500 3/4 ton to a 3500 1 ton etc.

I wish I had a definitive answer but all of the gm gen 3 ls intank pumps that I've seen have spring loaded height adjustment.

I found it was a bit more expensive...but FAR less of a headache to change the entire pump/sending unit assembly. I put a Bosch unit in mine. It's every bit as quiet as the Delphi factory pump.

Some of the vent line are internal to the tank on some '04 & up models....Replace with the correct pump assembly!

Transferring the fuel level sender is straightforward.

One thing I can add to this is do NOT use Spectra Premium pumps. Pay the extra money for the Delphi pump on Rockauto which is the original OEM pump. The AC Delco is not the original pump but a reboxed other make. I stopped using Spectra pumps when failures started - had 3 fail within months of installation.

can you take the level sensor fro the old pump and fit it to the new pump?
can you leave the old pump&sender in place, and fit a seperate pump?
can you use a multimeter to check resistances with full tank & empty tank?
can you use a seperate fuel cell with dedicated level sender?
can you stop by the fuel station every 2 of 3 days and top it off?
can you find a used item on ebay that has the correct part number for your truck?

Originally Posted by GMBoy
One thing I can add to this is do NOT use Spectra Premium pumps. Pay the extra money for the Delphi pump on Rockauto which is the original OEM pump. The AC Delco is not the original pump but a reboxed other make. I stopped using Spectra pumps when failures started - had 3 fail within months of installation.

Was there any warning like noise from the pump before it failed? My truck got a Spectra premium 2-3 years ago when the sending unit rusted out and started leaking. The employer paid for that, now it's my truck and on my dime for repairs.

So far no issues but I've experienced quality issues with other Spectra premium stuff.

Ran into this issue when I was replacing the fuel pump on my Envoy; RockAuto had a different one listed for the standard wheel base and the XL.

Your best bet will be to run your VIN on a GM dealership's website and confirm the part number before buying. If the fuel level sensor is not part of the assembly, it would be worthwhile buying one along with the pump. If you're in there, you're in there; best to be done with it in one shot.

The in tank fuel pumps I have replaced were on Chevrolet cars . The new pump was fitted to the original assembly / sender . Not the other way around .

Pump looked like a little metal " can " .

Do not have any experience with the truck fuel pumps .

I've actually pulled some Denso pumps out of a few Silverado/Tahoe gas tanks. Apparently GM used Delphi and Denso. The factory brand replacement pump is a crapshoot as much as any of the aftermarket units. Can't tell you how many OE GM truck and SUV pumps we changed at my father-in-law's repair shop with around 100K-150K miles on them.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
I've actually pulled some Denso pumps out of a few Silverado/Tahoe gas tanks. Apparently GM used Delphi and Denso. The factory brand replacement pump is a crapshoot as much as any of the aftermarket units. Can't tell you how many OE GM truck and SUV pumps we changed at my father-in-law's repair shop with around 100K-150K miles on them.

I wonder why that is the case? On my old Asian cars I've never had a fuel pump fail, only the BMW has required replacement. Everything fails on the BMW however.

They did seem to have bad pumps in the mid-2000s. I don't know if those trucks had an external fuel filter, though. If it was anything like our company trucks, they're always on 1/4 to 1/2 tank and no one ever fills them up until they're on E. Just that can wear a pump out because the fuel cools the pump.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
They did seem to have bad pumps in the mid-2000s. I don't know if those trucks had an external fuel filter, though. If it was anything like our company trucks, they're always on 1/4 to 1/2 tank and no one ever fills them up until they're on E. Just that can wear a pump out because the fuel cools the pump.

Yes. The mid-2000 styles all have external filters mounted on the frame rail. The reason for the common failure is likely exactly what you stated. Running them too low before refueling on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
The in tank fuel pumps I have replaced were on Chevrolet cars . The new pump was fitted to the original assembly / sender . Not the other way around .

Pump looked like a little metal " can " .

Do not have any experience with the truck fuel pumps .

That sounds like the way my 89 Chevy Caprice was (first year of EFI and the electric fuel pump). I think the newer ones are a slightly larger "metal can". The older ones it was common practice to replace just the fuel pump. The newer ones usually get replaced as a complete sending unit assembly. In the case of my 2005 truck, the sending unit rusted out at around 160k before the pump failed. The 2002 truck our company had before lost its fuel pump at 100k miles. They replaced the whole assembly which also seemed to fix the wonky fuel gauge.

Originally Posted by Silverado12

I've seen more late 90s early 2000s fail. Our 2002 failed, it still had an inline fuel filter which never got changed in the life of the truck and the driver always ran it low on fuel despite my warnings. It started to get slightly noisier towards the end but I didn't ride in it for a while before the day it failed.

The 2005 has no replaceable filter and didn't get run low quite as frequently because it did long trips up north most of the time. Never an issue with the fuel pump itself.

When I did my 2002 Silverado I had my friend that works at a GM parts counter look up the proper part number according to my VIN. That way I knew I would order the correct fuel pump.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Was there any warning like noise from the pump before it failed? My truck got a Spectra premium 2-3 years ago when the sending unit rusted out and started leaking. The employer paid for that, now it's my truck and on my dime for repairs.

So far no issues but I've experienced quality issues with other Spectra premium stuff.

No warning at all - just died. Each of them just stopped w/o warning. Worse part is one Spectra a customer bought from Autozone for the same amount RA had an OEM and better pump and the same Spectra on RA was $125 less.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40

I believe you and I have also noticed about a 150k mile average before pump replacement needed. Even my own Sierra needed the pump done but I made it to 166k.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

No warning at all - just died. Each of them just stopped w/o warning. Worse part is one Spectra a customer bought from Autozone for the same amount RA had an OEM and better pump and the same Spectra on RA was $125 less.

Hopefully since mine has lasted over 2 years maybe I'm somewhat safe. Most of the defective parts I've had took a dump within the first year (like my ac Delco starters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back