GM Supercharger Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did take two bottles to fill up the snout on mine. Like it was said, its not a huge expense overall, but in the context of it being a oil, its pricey.

I too have noticed the lack of down shifts when under only moderate acceleration. It seems as ekpolk stated that it does try to make more use of the blower than that downshifts to build power. Its quite nice actually. It does have a slightly annoying delay on the downshifts, though, when you put your foot in it when you are already at speed, particularly around the 40 - 50 mph range.

I know combined city/highway driving is at if not slightly higher than what my 4cyl Focus was, and on the highway only it just flat out exceeds it. That was a pleasant thing to me to be able to step up to such a car and not take a hit in mileage. Yeah, you have to run premium fuel, but I was already doing that in the Focus because I had a chip in it.

I owned a N/A Grand Prix a few years ago that I absolutely love. Ive been a long time Pontiac fan and my Focus was my first real departure from that and while I loved the Focus and it did me good, Im glad to be back with Pontiac. As far as Im concerned the Grand Prix seems to be a great combination of performance and family car functionality. The suspension could be a tad stiffer, but I'll take care of that eventually.

There is an boost bypass valve that can be adjusted to keep the boost away, it can be adjusted up and down to keep the boost away, or have it kick in faster.

I knew there was a bypass valve, but I certainly didnt know it was adjustable. I'd almost be afraid to do anything to that though for fear of really screwing something up.

I'll have to look at that this morning though, I think I know where it is located. Is there just a screw in it that you turn? which direction to make it kick in faster, up or down? Then again I guess I could always buy an aftermarket PCM, but this is free, LOL.

If you want a bit more power, skip the PCM for now and replace the stock pulley with a smaller 2.4" one.
grin.gif

I think you meaan 3.4".

I've never heard of anyone overdriving the supercharger with a 2.4" pulley.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
If you want a bit more power, skip the PCM for now and replace the stock pulley with a smaller 2.4" one.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
grin.gif

LOL, and I'll have zero KR too. I plan on getting the 3.4" pulley, however I've heard a lot of talk about 'supporting mods' on the GP boards, so Im working in that direction. I got a 180* T-stat in (though I wish I had drilled it at the time), Ive got my intake ready to go in, shift kit should be ready this weekend (though not necessarily a supporting mod) and hopefully by the end of next week I'll have a 3" DP in with the U-bend delete.

93 octane gas used to be pretty common around here but I have noticed recently everyone going down to 91, I assume because of gas prices who knows, and I think thats about the minimum I can run. With as hot as it gets around here and not having a scanner yet where I can check KR I dont want to risk too much just yet.

To be honest though, I wish I had the funds and know how to install a LSD. My preference would be to put money into beefing things up and not have to think about the tranny puking parts on the highway, but for now I'll just try and keep my foot out of it and try to pretend I can be a sane driver.

The GM SC oil is one of the most foul smelling substances on Earth. I changed the SC oil in my wife's GTP last year, and it was horrible. Used posi fluid smells like a bouquet of roses compared to this stuff. I put my used sc oil in my waste motor oil container and it stunk up my whole garage for weeks.

For this oil change-out you will need 2 of the bottles and you will use 1.5 of them to fill unit properly. Turkey baster extraction method works well and DO NOT OVER-TORQUE!

quote:

Originally posted by H2GURU:
For this oil change-out you will need 2 of the bottles and you will use 1.5 of them to fill unit properly. Turkey baster extraction method works well and DO NOT OVER-TORQUE!

I agree about the torque caution -- you don't want to mess up on that. Having done this several times, I found that an extractor (any of the various designs should do fine) with a small suction tube worked best. Things like a baster, unless you find a really small one, won't reach all the way down into the recesses where the fluid pools, and they aren't flexible enough to bend around and get to all the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back