GM Start / Stop 2016 Impala any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little surprised at the mileage. A supercharged 3800 can get 25 mpg combined average, not much of an improvement for a 16 year newer 4 banger with a lot less less power in a similar weight car when you think about it.
I suspect without the stop/start it would be almost the same which tells me the 2.5 is not close enough to the sweet spot for optimal power to weight ration, its working too hard.

This is common in Europe, the smaller engine cars many times get worse mileage that slightly larger engine models of the same car. The Opel Corsa 1.2 got worse mileage than the more powerful 1.4, the 1.2 was slugging its nuts off on the highway but the 1.2 was cheaper on tax. GM desperately needs a new and more modern engine line up.

Appreciate all the input clearly two points of view. Still interested but undecided. I wonder what a UOA would look like on an engine that uses stop/start? More wear I wonder?

GM has refused to put an off button on their stop start cars, my guess is they are getting extra CAFE bucks for doing so because customers clearly want to be able to turn it off if they'd like.

Appears there may be a few ways around it but nothing that is both easy, convenient and definitive that I have seen. Maybe I should rent one, buying one with the intent to get around the stop/start is probably foolish.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

GM has refused to put an off button on their stop start cars, my guess is they are getting extra CAFE bucks for doing so because customers clearly want to be able to turn it off if they'd like.

It would seem that way, not being able to disable the thing at least every time you start it is nothing they could sell me on. IMO It should be optional if the owner wants to use it or not not the manufacturer.

Start/stop seems like another dumb idea by the manufacturers to squeak out 1 mpg. The small fuel savings will be outweighed by the increase in maintenance costs from starter and more expensive battery replacement. Maybe it is beneficial if you live in an area that has 10 minute waits at traffic lights. I can't imagine constant stop and go traffic wouldn't put significant wear on the starter.

Start/stop would be useless here in Phoenix. A/C is usually on Max while driving, most months out of the year.

The Ford Escape's on-off button for Start / Stop feature resets when the engine is shutdown by the driver. In other words, it resets when the driver starts the car. I can see it helping somewhat in city driving but our area is more suburban and highway miles. It will get 30 mpg in pure highway driving. 2.0 Turbo AWD. I bought it to replace a Saturn Vue 3.5 V6 AWD that got at best 26 mpg in careful highway driving.

Update for posterity.

Finally looked at the Impala and did not like it once I was inside. The dash seemed odd and intrusive and outward visibility was abysmal. Didn't even drive it. Shame it is a gorgeous car on the outside.

Also had a couple guys come into my lot at work in Malibu rentals. Stupid stop start was turning the car off when they were trying to manuever to park. Was not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back