GM OLM math help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OLM in the GP in my sig seems really short. Changed the oil at 70,324. OLM reset to 100%. Currently at 71,488. OLM is at 84%. Can somebody help me determine what 0% OLM might be?

Really no way to figure it out. It all depends on the engine revolutions and quite a few other things. Hard to give you an aprox. number. If you said that your changes are shorter then expected, a lot of it might be the way it is driven and in what conditions (heat/cold etc.) I would stick to the OLM and get a UOA after the next one. That is the only way to tell if your OLM is on the money

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The OLM in the GP in my sig seems really short. Changed the oil at 70,324. OLM reset to 100%. Currently at 71,488. OLM is at 84%. Can somebody help me determine what 0% OLM might be?

My 05 Malibu moves around a lot when my drive cycle changes, so it's almost impossible to predict when it will get to 0. Repeated cold starts and low-speed around town driving take big chunks out, while freeway cruises leave it virtually untouched.
Worried about changing your oil in a major snowstorm this winter?

You've gone 1164 miles on 16% if you use the same numbers youll be at 7275 miles at 0%

1164/16 = 72.75 miles per 1% drop.
72.75* 100 = 7275 miles until 0%.

This is assuming everything stays the same and the rate of decrease is constant.

No one can actually tell you when it will hit 0 because the algorithm has other htings factored into it, ie time, temp, miles, rpms ect.

That sounds fine. If you follow the same driving pattern, 0% will be when you've done 7275 miles in total from your reset at 70324 miles.

This is the math:

(71488-70324) / (1 - 0.84)

Thanks volk and mark. Perfect for how its driven. Was planning on 8k regardless. I've read numerous posts where people claim GM OLM algo always ends up 10k no matter how its driven. But that seems perfectly calibrated. Its 60/40 city/highway.

Since the weather is getting colder, I would guess that your OLM would go down faster. Others have said you might get 72xx miles. I am guessing more like 67xx to 63xx miles.

That OLM [if consistent conditions] should net you 7275 miles at full depletion.
Probably 5-6K before recommended change.

What is abnormal about that??

Thanks volk and mark. Perfect for how its driven. Was planning on 8k regardless. I've read numerous posts where people claim GM OLM algo always ends up 10k no matter how its driven. But that seems perfectly calibrated. Its 60/40 city/highway.

We've had a huge discussion on this. The GM OLM is one of the best out there, taking into account a lot of variables and working extremely well for most drivers.

We've used it exclusively since 04 on our fleet and have hundreds of thousands of miles of successful operation.

Our mileages range from around 4400 for our vans which do extensive stationary operation to almost 14k miles in our Silverados. Use it with any synthetic on sale and enjoy nearly unlimited engine life.

How are the Silverado's used? are they mostly highway?

Varies a lot by time of the year.

Many of the higher mileages were almost all high speed toll road miles.

KeakySeals. I have a 09 Saturn Vue and I started to track
the OLM to see if it changes the amount it reduces itself
due to colder temps. Anyway, after 3500 km ( 2170 mi) it
dropped down to 70 %. So if yours dropped to 84 % after 1164
miles then it seems to be the same average that mine has.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

KeakySeals. I have a 09 Saturn Vue and I started to track
the OLM to see if it changes the amount it reduces itself
due to colder temps. Anyway, after 3500 km ( 2170 mi) it
dropped down to 70 %. So if yours dropped to 84 % after 1164
miles then it seems to be the same average that mine has.

Gm does testing on each type of engine to get some parameters to set in the olm. So you can't really compare olm results from different engines.

If memory serves, the 3800 has a pretty small oil capacity. So you are working the oil harder in a shorter amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back