OLM on 2012 Honda Odyssey went from normal 7200 to 9800 miles on oil

Well, changed oil on my wife's 172000 mile Honda Odyssey after OLM light came on. Put some new GF6A Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in, stuck a new Fram Ultra on ( will stay with that for now). Reset the B mileage indicator sitting at ~ 9800 miles, wait what? 9800 miles? It should be 7200 to 7500 miles. Guess I will have to start tracking the mileage myself closer. Next oil change oil I probably should put some HPL engine cleaner in and run a short cycle to do cleaning. She does alot of rural highway miles.

How long did it take to drive the 9800 miles? How long does it usually take you to get to a normal 7200 mile OCI? :unsure:

Highway miles are easier on oil

Do you have a VCM muzzle device on it yet?
Oh H$%^ yes, after Honda had the pistons be replaced at ~ 30000 miles or whatever they did I immediately put a VCM muzzler on the V6. Will Never own another vehicle with cylinder deactivation unless I can bypass it. Lets see I'm changing oil every ~4 to 5 months and doing ATF drain and fills every third oil change (~22000 miles). Thought I had more GF5 than I found on shelf, only found 1 and its the Zepro I plan putting in the Subaru next month, after that GF6A Valvoline EP like my son is using?

Oh H$%^ yes, after Honda had the pistons be replaced at ~ 30000 miles or whatever they did I immediately put a VCM muzzler on the V6. Will Never own another vehicle with cylinder deactivation unless I can bypass it. Lets see I'm changing oil every ~4 to 5 months and doing ATF drain and fills every third oil change (~22000 miles). Thought I had more GF5 than I found on shelf, only found 1 and its the Zepro I plan putting in the Subaru next month, after that GF6A Valvoline EP like my son is using?
I've got new Valv EP 5w30 in our '19 right now. Seems to do okay.

Do Honda's have smart OLMs, if there was less idling and city driving and more highway driving this oil change it may have went longer.
Problem is I don't think her driving pattern has changed at all. I mean 98% of her driving is at 65 on a rural highway going to work or town for supplies.

Problem is I don't think her driving pattern has changed at all. I mean 98% of her driving is at 65 on a rural highway going to work or town for supplies.
We had an '05 Odyssey (no VCM then) and with a good mix of city driving (60+ %) and highway, we routinely saw ~7000 miles according to the MM. On a newer model, no doubt Honda continually tweaks the OLM so with her driving, I'm not surprised yours wants to go longer. I realize it used to go mid-7000 miles though so yeah, this jump is pretty odd.

2018 Honda CR-V. I spent a few intervals tracking how many miles it took to hit each 10%. It was pretty clear, the more highway miles I drove, the longer I could drive before it dropped to the next 10%. We went on a cross country roadtrip and we were going 1200-1300 miles per 10% on the OLM. When we're home and just driving around our small town, it takes 400-600 miles per 10%. If we make a few trips to the big city (50 miles each way) then it goes up to 700-800 miles per 10%.

2018 Honda CR-V. I spent a few intervals tracking how many miles it took to hit each 10%. It was pretty clear, the more highway miles I drove, the longer I could drive before it dropped to the next 10%. We went on a cross country roadtrip and we were going 1200-1300 miles per 10% on the OLM. When we're home and just driving around our small town, it takes 400-600 miles per 10%. If we make a few trips to the big city (50 miles each way) then it goes up to 700-800 miles per 10%.
But, but, but..... it's just a "dumb" counter. It's amazing how some people hang on to how some maintenance counters worked in 1993 and still think ALL vehicles still operate that way.

Back