GM OLM....8200 miles on dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
GM says that you must use a 5w-30 that is 6094M approved when using the oil life monitor.

Notice that Valvoline isn't 6094M approved.
wink.gif

SNIP

Michael,

I'm certain you knew this, but all 6094M really means is that the oil has good low-temp pumpability. It shouldn't help at all with extended OCIs.

quote:

JohnnyG i'd check the oil, you shouldn't rely on the light to tell you when the oil is low. Infact if you are running below safe, then your UOA results will be pretty much usless, as in we won't know if the OLM was infact correct, because you were running too low on oil.

Well, I did exaggerate a little, I did check the oil in July, (or was it June?) anyway, it was fine...and clean looking. The truck went over 18,000 mi. today, and 13 months on Chevron Supreme 5W-30. I also checked my records, and my post wasn't completely correct. I bought the truck in March 2004, and ran it to 2739 before putting in Chev. 5W-30. Then I ran THAT to 6500 in August 2004 when I did the second change with Chev. 5W-30, and reset the OLM. Now at 18,000+ and 13 months, still no light. I'm going to push it a little further, but I'm expecting the reminder to come on any day now. The oil will be changed before winter gets a good start. No makeup oil has been added.

Somewhat off topic...

In regards to: 6094M

Even if the spec. is somewhat meaningless, what are considered the best oils that do meet this spec.?

My father went with Castrol GTX in his 04 Tahoe in order to meet the spec. which I thought was good that he tried, but perhaps not the best choice.

any quality dino SL will run 7-8K period end of discussion no problem, but no one here ever runs that long and thats a shame since any dino SL will be OK.

Wait I will do it since I have about 1K on a dino oil now I'll be back in 6-7K or so with a UOA's.
bruce

Bruce -

You might be right about a quality dino lasting 7-8K, but I am too conservative to try it. I will be interested in seeing your results. What type of car/engine?

You know you are right in that at the cost of a good dino you can aford to change at say 5k and will be dumping all the clud that builds up and to me shorter drains witha dino are better than longer 10K drians with a syn only for the "cleaning" effect you get.

test oil is a 5/30 SL with bumped up AO and TBN.
should look fine at 7K.
bruce

Well, it happened today. The "Change Engine Oil" message popped up on the dash....And I ran out of windshield washer fluid! Do you think the two are somehow inter-related? I think it's a GM plot to make you buy more washer fluid.
wink.gif

12,500 miles and 13 months from my last change, oil level right where the oil change guy left it, no make up oil added, a nice coffee color, not black. Now if I can only find those Blackstone test kits....... OH, should I have the TBN run on this stuff?

See, the GM OLM is working perfectly.
wink.gif

Now, I want to see that UOA with TBN to measure the active additive remaining.

Big Kudos to you for having the guts to follow the OLM!
cheers.gif

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:
Well, it happened today. The "Change Engine Oil" message popped up on the dash....And I ran out of windshield washer fluid! Do you think the two are somehow inter-related? I think it's a GM plot to make you buy more washer fluid.
wink.gif

12,500 miles and 13 months from my last change, oil level right where the oil change guy left it, no make up oil added, a nice coffee color, not black. Now if I can only find those Blackstone test kits....... OH, should I have the TBN run on this stuff?

run TBN more important than glycol or fuel dilution IMHO
bruce

Didn't want this to fall too far off the list. The oil samples went out today. $30.00 check to Blackstone's. After checking all my records this oil ended up being Havoline conventional 5W-30 run for 12,650 miles. Results will be e-mailed, so all I need to do now is figure out just how to post them.

JohnnyG -

I can't wait to see the results on this UOA. This is the longest run on dino that I can remember using the GM OLM. I am going to hold judgement on the OLM until you get your results back. Thanks for sharing the data!!
cheers.gif

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics for your
2005 Cadillac CTS as of 09/16/2005

Welcome! We're glad you chose to enroll in the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics service, exclusively for OnStar-equipped GM vehicles. Here is your first of the ongoing e-mail reports you'll receive about every 30 days to help keep your vehicle ready for the road. In each report, we'll tell you about the performance of certain vehicle systems and let you know when it is time for scheduled vehicle maintenance. This type of active maintenance can help add years of life to your GM vehicle while lowering your cost of ownership. We hope you enjoy the many benefits of OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics.

You'll find top-line checkup results below. A green, yellow, or red symbol helps to quickly indicate if any action is needed. For more detailed information, just click as shown.

If you have questions about this report or OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, please call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or push the blue OnStar button in your vehicle.

Engine and/or Transmission System
Diagnostic Status: Complete. No action needed.

More Information

Antilock Braking System

More Information

Air Bag System

More Information

OnStar System

More Information

Remaining Oil Life: 44%
No service needed.

Mileage: 6,331
No maintenance needed.

Hands-Free Calling:
100 minutes remaining.
Good until 09/14/2006.

More Information

OK, The oil UOA is in and posted in it's proper place. Lead flagged at 22ppm, but I still say it's the direct result of the (several) full throttle blasts to redline. The rest is good, IMHO, but others please comment. The TBN was 1.6, so active additive was about used up. Emphisis on "ABOUT".

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before now. The OLM is not going to change based on the oil you use. It will trigger at the same point regaurdless of the oil used. However, it is programmed for dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before now. The OLM is not going to change based on the oil you use. It will trigger at the same point regaurdless of the oil used. However, it is programmed for dino oil.

You are 100% correct, the oil used is not a problem, dino/syn. The OLM does not take leaking head gaskets, fuel dilution, and anti-freeze dilution in the oil in to consideration.

BMW OLM That Did Not Work, Dealer Serviced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back