GM IFS AWD axle seal leak

D60

This is the front axle of an 2013 AWD Express. He's had a persistent leak at the RH axle seal. Note this is at the end of a bolt-on "extension tube", just inboard of the CV companion flange.
20240518_113222.jpg

He had a (terrible) local shop replace the seal due to initial leak. It was still leaking ~6 months later so he took it back and they agreed to warranty it, which is where we sit now still with a leak. Note it's slinging gear oil onto steering rack bellow, photo right.

I need to regear the vehicle so I'll be in there.

As I see it Option 1 is that the terrible shop damaged or gouged the shaft the FIRST time they pulled the seal, in which case I'll evaluate and proceed accordingly. BITOG can't help me there.

However if that's not the case I wanted to ask the BITOG collective if there's something particularly "gotcha" about these seals? Should I seek a very specific brand? Special installation instructions? Common for bearing or bushing slop to develop and thus the seal is just a symptom but not the cause?

Vehicle only has about 76k miles.

I am guessing they either did not lube the outside of the rubber covered seal or did not lube the seal inner lip before installing the axle causing a dry start. I have seen people try to install rubber covered seals dry and knock the spring on the back side of the seal loose that removes the seals tension and causes it to leak. A dry start damages the sealing lip also causing a leak. I use a thin film of silicone grease on the outside, it makes tapping it in easy and gear oil on the inside lip.

seal.jpg

Back