AC shaft seal leak - Replace compressor or seal?

Given the vehicles age, I wouldn't be expending $$ on a new compressor. If you can purchase the seal and service the compressor, go for it. Otherwise adios A/C.
Really. Cars that age and older are my bread and butter. Here is a hint of what I had today.

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_111449.jpg
    IMG_20200730_111449.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 68
Why would someone spend that kind of $$$ on a new compressor if they've the ability to reseal the original? I suggest taking the old compressor apart to inspect the shaft first, then if it's in good shape, RESEAL IT! If the shaft is worn then order a new compressor. Only thing lost is the time spent taking it apart.

So what if it has a bad bearing, does that mean just throw the part away? The parts changers are proving themselves to have less and less skills as mechanics.
If it takes 3x to do a simple job to get it right speaks volumes about the skill level of the guy doing the job.

The SUV is very low mileage for the year (just over 100k in miles) so I feel like it is worth fixing, especially since it essentially costs me nothing except basic maintenance and the insurance.

Now I am no expert on A/C or seals or anything like that, but the problem did not start until I stopped driving it on a regular basis. I'm not convinced there is anything really wrong with the compressor itself, from some research it seems that front shaft seal can go dry if the system is not run on a regular basis to circulate the oil (since it is flowing around in there with the refrigerant)?

Found a non-chain parts store in town that claims to be able to get a new non reman compressor for around $400 CAD. That looks like the easiest route for me. The seal I can only find online. Everything is more expensive in Canada ;)

Usually I'd say try your luck on an $30 junyard compressor, but since the compressor you're after only came on the 87-95 Pathfinder and 86-95 Nissan pickup the $250 new UAC compressor from RA might be your best option. Still you might want to look at row52.com to see if there's any old Pathfinder/Hardbody's in the yards that are in your neck of the woods.

remember any ac repair depends on getting the crap out of the system , some parallel flow condensers are near impossible to flush. replace all low cost service related parts, receiver drier etc purchase the seal but don't count on vacuum alone to get rid of the crap

you may not in fact, have too much crap in the system as the compressor did not become trash, just a leaky seal. have you searched for rebuild kits for this vehicle . google is your friend..

Why replace it if its working now? If the system is working and weeping a little past the seal it could last another 100,000 miles or more.

remember any ac repair depends on getting the crap out of the system , some parallel flow condensers are near impossible to flush. replace all low cost service related parts, receiver drier etc purchase the seal but don't count on vacuum alone to get rid of the crap

If it's just a compressor seal, you only need to replace the compressor and drier, and maybe the orafice.

Seals and o-rings on a leaking ac compressor (w/no other issues... makes for good common sense.)
Too bad most people don't bother to service the oil in their compressors (dumb).

Seals and o-rings on a leaking ac compressor (w/no other issues... makes for good common sense.)
Too bad most people don't bother to service the oil in their compressors (dumb).
It's been over three years since the OP made the thread, hopefully this is resolved by now.

But I'm intrigued by your suggestion to "service the oil in their compressors (dumb)". Do you mean people should evacuate the system on a regular basis to flush and replace the refrigerant oil? You do know that the oil in the compressor is not static, it flows throughout the system along with the refrigerant, right? Have you ever flushed an automotive system?

I've done 70s-90s GMs (A6s-R4s) with the newer, double lip seal. I don't necessarily recommend it either, but I wasn't about to scrap a good, quiet R4 over leakage. Even new ones are a crap shoot, since it was a mediocre design to start with.
R4 Seal.jpg

Since someone brought this back from the dead. I ended up finding the correct seal and replacing it myself after having a shop down the road recover the refrigerant. Pulled a vacuum on it for 1 hour, and charged it back up after replacing all the o-rings for good measure. The oil inside looked brand new so I reused it... Been ice cold (again) for almost 3 years now.

It's too **** hot these days not to have working air, specifically in a black vehicle with leather seats.

Last edited:
Back