Gm 6 spd trans service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any body done a service on a 6 spd trans in a gm truck 2010+? Is the gasket reusable? I can't seem to find much info about it, I've done a few 4 spds but never any 6's.

The filter can be easily replaced, if you can get the pan off.Mine Iwas impossable to remove unless the exhaust was removed. I sucked the fluid out of the fill tube.You can sneak the filter out buy removing the pan bolts and dropping the front of pan.Some fluid does remain in the pan.I reused the pan gasket , no problem.I have an 09, 1500 6.0L, 6 speed.

I have an 09 1500 Siverado 6L 6 Speed and I could not get the filter out without dropping some of the exhaust. I tip my hat to you brother!

Originally Posted By: larryn
The filter can be easily replaced, if you can get the pan off.Mine Iwas impossable to remove unless the exhaust was removed. I sucked the fluid out of the fill tube.You can sneak the filter out buy removing the pan bolts and dropping the front of pan.Some fluid does remain in the pan.I reused the pan gasket , no problem.I have an 09, 1500 6.0L, 6 speed.

How hard is it to drop the exhaust? Couldn't you just undo the tranny mounts on the tail shaft and jack the tranny up a little with a piece of wood and a bottle jack?

All I did was un hook the rubber hanger in the back and remove the 3 bolts where the pipe hooks into the manifold on the driver side of the engine. Not to bad but next time I'll just suck it out with a Mity Vac.

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
Has any body done a service on a 6 spd trans in a gm truck 2010+? Is the gasket reusable? I can't seem to find much info about it, I've done a few 4 spds but never any 6's.

On our new 2013 Chevy Express 3500 with a 6L90 six speed the pan comes right off easily. The gasket is reusable rubber and much better than most aftermarket ones...

It would be nice if GM started to put drain plugs in them again...they stopped that around 04...would the .25 cents a transmission really kill them?

Does GM consider it a "lifetime" fluid, or do they have change recommendations?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
It would be nice if GM started to put drain plugs in them again...they stopped that around 04...would the .25 cents a transmission really kill them?

A GM Powertrain engineer once told me that the reason they don't use drain plugs in transmissions with a filter inside the pan (or at least didn't at the time; this was probably a decade ago) is that if the transmission has a drain plug, it's more likely that the filter service would be skipped in favor of simply draining and refilling the fluid. However, if the pan must be lowered to drain the fluid, it's more likely that the filter will be replaced. He referenced the Saturn ATs at the time, with their drain plugs and spin-on filters (something I wish they'd ALL do).

They want the dealers to do it. Because they know if they make the job to easy a lot of pickup owners will do it.

So they make it harder, and we sub it out like I do, they win.

Plus they get to save money by not putting drain plugs on the pans and torque converter for that matter. Again its a win win for GM.

Remember dealers make money on service not new car sales.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back